ragnarok1968

Install of 15042 reboots at 71% to 15031

Ok, it appears some folks get that dreaded issue whereby they get to say.. 71% into the installation of an update and nothing happens, the system update dies on you. Microsoft have released a way to prevent this, it was an issue marked with the release of th 15042 build. It has to do with cleaning out or flushing out the update cache it appears: Here's a post with some definitive commands to clear out the cache. I highly recommend folks use command prompt with Admin privileges to prevent any problems. So.. here is the measures needed to fix hanging updates. if your system rolls back to a previous build, then apply these actions via the command prompt BEFORE you try the update again. So here's the measures needed to apparently flush the windows update download cache;

You probably need to clear the Windows Update Download cache (I had to do this to get 15046 to appear).

net stop wuauserv
cd %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution
rmdir /S /Q Download
net start wuauserv
net stop bits
net start bits
net stop cryptsvc
cd %systemroot%\system32
rmdir /S /Q catroot2
net start cryptsvc

Reboot.

Go to settings and update - if it still has 15042 pending a restart, go ahead and restart it will just do another reboot, however when you return back to windows and go to update again it will now download 15046. Hope that helps.
-Tdub (sidibe)

I added Tdub Sidibe's name to this as credit is due, where it is due.

Tell us if these measures work!

-Chris

I think you can copy the text of those commands and open notepad and create a .bat batch file and maybe these commands would work?

people such as myself are getting this issue trying to update to build 15048 (3-3-2017)

Back