Windows 7 upgrade issues

acornruss

I just bought 5 computers with windows7home and am trying to upgrade to pro. the seller sold me 7pro install disks rather than upgrades. when i install them, my screen resolution is stretched and the computer no longer sees any internet connections nor recognizes any communication devices. it loads windows directly without giving me a chance to go into the bios. it did store the home version in a .old format, but i cant find a way to uninstall pro.
what is happening and how do i fix it.

I just bought 5 computers with windows7home and am trying to upgrade to pro. the seller sold me 7pro install disks rather than upgrades. when i install them, my screen resolution is stretched and the computer no longer sees any internet connections nor recognizes any communication devices. it loads windows directly without giving me a chance to go into the bios. it did store the home version in a .old format, but i cant find a way to uninstall pro.

Sorry I am a bit confused. why do you want to go back to home? Is it just because it cant connect to the internet?

If your computers have a restore partition you can revert back to the old OS but I would strongly recommend you stay with pro.

Can you give us more information on what you truly need/want to do?

Sorry I am a bit confused. why do you want to go back to home? Is it just because it cant connect to the internet?

If your computers have a restore partition you can revert back to the old OS but I would strongly recommend you stay with pro.

Can you give us more information on what you truly need/want to do?

I think he's saying that he has Windows 7 Home and He wants to upgrade to Windows Professional but he can't upgrade because his disks can't upgrade his computer.

I think he's saying that he has Windows 7 Home and He wants to upgrade to Windows Professional but he can't upgrade because his disks can't upgrade his computer.

I dont think so. "...windows7home and am trying to upgrade to pro". Think he wants to revert because of problems. need to wait for more info I think.

It's likely that you may very well have to update (download and install) some if not all of your hardware device drivers again, especially if you have done a clean (custom) install rather than an upgrade.
Check the computer manufacturer's website, motherboard manufacturer's website, or actual device manufacturer's website for the latest drivers for your specific hardware. Especially chipset, video, audio, network (wifi and lan).
Because of the .OLD reference I suspect that it wasn't an actual upgrade that happened so the drivers are not likely to be present in your current install.
AND I like zigzag3143 would highly recommend sticking with Pro rather than reverting back to Home Premium.
Regards
Randy

Okay this is just guess work on my part, but I hope I can get this right the first time.

I just bought 5 computers with windows7home and am trying to upgrade to pro.

5 computers, original OS on all five is Windows 7 Home, desired OS on all five is Windows 7 Pro

the seller sold me 7pro install disks rather than upgrades.

The seller sold you Windows 7 Pro install disks, that was a mistake on their part. There are three different types of disks, Full Install, Upgrade and Any Time Upgrade. You can go into the hacker discussion on how the first two are the same disk, but lets keep it simple, legal and how Microsoft says it is. The Full install, sounds like you go, is for computers with out an OS at all. The Upgrade is for computers running a previous version of Windows, if it be Vista or XP. Although upgrading from XP requires a fresh install, it can still be done with the Upgrade disk, making it cheaper to do so. The Any Time Upgrade, is what you needed. It is a lot cheaper than the first two, and can only be used if you are upgrading from a lower flavor of Windows 7. So it would be Starter to Home/Pro/Ultimate, Home to Pro/Ultimate or Pro to Ultimate. I wonder why they either didn't know that, could go off on a slander party about them, but we will keep this civil.

when i install them, my screen resolution is stretched and the computer no longer sees any internet connections nor recognizes any communication devices. it loads windows directly without giving me a chance to go into the bios. it did store the home version in a .old format, but i cant find a way to uninstall pro.

This is a good indication of what happened. It looks like you now have two copies of Windows installed. If that is the case, then the reason you are having those problems is that the drivers where taken out during the install. The idea to see if you have a recovery partition is a very good one. The other option would be start the install of Windows 7 Pro, and be sure to completely format the drives, but this will leave you in the same position of, you need the drivers still.

If you could, post on here what Make and modle the computers are. I'm sure someone will be kind enough to help you find out about the recovery partition.

Back