Windows 7 upgrade question

rkirby

I am running Vista Ultimate and I am thing about upgrading to Windows 7 Home Preminum. My question is, if I want to do a clean install say a year after I install Windows 7 can I just install Windows 7 or do I have to install Vista first. I never have upgraded before. Thanks for any help.

I am running Vista Ultimate and I am thing about upgrading to Windows 7 Home Preminum. My question is, if I want to do a clean install say a year after I install Windows 7 can I just install Windows 7 or do I have to install Vista first. I never have upgraded before. Thanks for any help.

You won't be permitted to upgrade-in-place Vista Ultimate to Win7 Home Premium. Your only choice would be a custom (clean) install.

Are you buying an upgrade license for Win7? The detailed requirements for running the upgrade have not been published yet, as far as I know. I have read some claims that an upgrade DVD will have to be launched from an *activated* copy of a qualifying OS. (This is similar to Vista, except that Vista did require the qualifying OS to be activated.)

In other words, if you wanted to clean install Win7 to a blank hard drive using an upgrade license, you *may* have to install, and activate, Vista first. I hope that those details are exposed before 22 October.

Thanks

I want to thank everyone for there reply to my upgrade question.
Have a great day,
rkirby:)

Back
Top Bottom