Windows 7 Upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista - Help!

doyouconnect

I just used the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if everything would go through fine when I tried to upgrade. Most things seemed fine, but a few things did come up that I have some questions about. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are the messages I received:
ATI Catalyst Install Manager
version 3.0.699.0
ATI Technologies, Inc.

Reinstall after upgrade
Before upgrading to Windows 7, we recommend uninstalling this program. It can be safely reinstalled after the upgrade.

Catalyst Control Centre
version 2.0.0.0
ATI Technologies Inc.

Reinstall after upgrade
Before upgrading to Windows 7, we recommend uninstalling this program. It can be safely reinstalled after the upgrade.

Realtek Ethernet Network Card Diagnostic tool for Windows Vista
version 1.00
Realtek

Reinstall after upgrade

It says recommended. Is it something I NEED to do? If so, any tips on how to go about doing that? Thank you.

I've been told to go to MSCONFIG & startup, but the only one of those in there was the Catalyst Control Centre. Also, I don't believe Realtek has a version for Windows 7.

Have you considered doing a clean install? The page just means you need to uninstall you video card drivers and network card driver before you do the upgrade and then install the Win 7 version of them. Not uncommon. If you do a clean install Win 7 will take care of all of your drivers the only down side you will have to back up anything that is important (music, videos, files etc) but it is the best way to go. If you have too much to back up then just do as i have said (uninstall the two drivers) and do the upgrade.

edit:

Don't worry about the msconfig. Just go into the control panel, uninstall programs and you should see both there. Uninstall each just be aware that when you unistall the network driver you will loose you nic card (internet access if you plug into your network) and the video will jump to a lower resolution but will still work. The realtek is the most generic chip on the planet. There will be a driver as part of the win 7 install.

Last edited:
How would I go about reinstalling them? I don't see an option for Realtek. Also, could I just use the MSCONFIG option for the Catalyst Control Centre?

Thanks for the reply.

yea. if not you should be able to find drivers at the website for the computer manufacture. In a push you can use Vista drivers in 7 but most likely everything is included with 7. I update 4 computers of various ages and hardware and all drivers were found w/o problems. One computer of which is a week old so it was very new/modern hardware.

I've been told to go to MSCONFIG & startup, but the only one of those in there was the Catalyst Control Centre. Also, I don't believe Realtek has a version for Windows 7.

<P>Problem: Realtek audio sound drivers for Windows 7
<P>Solution: NEW Realtek drivers
<P>(Use the third download site. It's MUCH faster.)

<P>Realtek

It did on mine. I use have two ati cards and it did find the generic drivers. If you want ati does have win 7 drivers on their website so you can download the proper drivers from them but unless you are a gamer and push the card to the max the generic drivers are find for normal applications like video and normal computer stuff.

Graphics Drivers & Software

Hi, i got the same message when i ran windows 7 upgrade advisor - I have an ATI Radeon HD 5800 graphics card and the advisor said that before upgrading to Windows 7 it is recommended uninstalling the ATI Catalyst Install Manager and the Catalyst Control Centre and then they can safely be installed after the upgrade.

Have been on the amd ati download site and found the drivers and catalyst suite to download when i upgrade but have a problem with what to do uninstalling those 2 programs. Have got the ATI Catalyst Install Manager in my add/remove programs list but no sign of the Catalyst Control Centre to uninstall. How do i go about uninstalling this program.

Their both part of the same ATI drivers set. Uninstall the one you have in your add/remove and you should be in good shape.

Back