Windows 8 upgrade

focu

:apologetic:Hi,ALL.
I have been trying to resolve the problems of windows 8,upgrade,purchased upgrade after being told my PC would meet requirements,upgrading from windows xp sp3,everything works OK,until the system reboots,then PC constantly tries to reboot,I have allowed remote access to microsoft help desk,on three occasions but they are unable to resolve this issue.any Idea's ?

Could you go through your exact steps for doing the Upgrade. And info on your system and hard drive/s being used.

Are you getting any messages as to what it is doing, Blue Screens or some requests to make a choice as to how to handle the reboot?

ran upgrade assistant,allowed upgrade to run after completion,windows will reboot,but just keeps rebooting constantly. no errors ,no blue screens. upgrade is from win xp sp3,on a hitachi SATA disk

It is possible that the OS is applying updates. By this time there are quite a few. With many of these, which require turning off services, an automatic reboot is applied. If you can get into your computer, between the updates, go into the Control Panel - Updates and, temporarily, turn them off. Also, whilst there, look to see what updates are pending.

It is possible that the OS is applying updates. By this time there are quite a few. With many of these, which require turning off services, an automatic reboot is applied. If you can get into your computer, between the updates, go into the Control Panel - Updates and, temporarily, turn them off. Also, whilst there, look to see what updates are pending.

hi Dave, I always run windows update prior to attempting the upgrade,it is when the upgrade completes that the system tries to reboot,but does not achieve this

To be honest upgrading from xp is probably not the best road to go down. Have you considered performing a clean install?
We see many posts from users who have upgraded and the usual solution is to perform a clean install.

To be honest upgrading from xp is probably not the best road to go down. Have you considered performing a clean install?
We see many posts from users who have upgraded and the usual solution is to perform a clean install.

yes but why would microsoft, help desk not realise this !!

I'm not sure but we've noticed in the forums that upgrading from xp to win 8 or win 7 is usually done best with a clean install. I guess in a perfect world an upgrade is a viable option but as you well know things hardly ever go to plan..

hi Dave, I always run windows update prior to attempting the upgrade,it is when the upgrade completes that the system tries to reboot,but does not achieve this

But aren't you upgrading from XP? Maybe I have misunderstood, but would not the updates be for XP, in that case?

Back
Top Bottom