Windows 7 Upgraded from Vista to Windows 7>Hard Disk Crash>New Hard Disk>Product Key Not Working

ohnoes

Like the topic title says, in 2009 had upgraded from Vista to Windows 7. This weekend my hard disk crashed after about 6 years of good service.

While I downloaded the upgrade, also got a backup disk sent that allowed me to do a full install of Windows 7. So, after installing a new hard disk, went to install Windows 7 from the disk, and got an invalid product key message when trying to enter my product key.

Primarily, I'm presuming this is b/c the current product key was tied to the old hard disk drive, which I wasn't able to backup or image. So how do I get a replacement product key for my old one? :confused:

Primarily, I'm presuming this is b/c the current product key was tied to the old hard disk drive, which I wasn't able to backup or image. So how do I get a replacement product key for my old one?:confused3:
This is definitely not the problem. Windows product keys may be tied to the motherboard - but only for OEM editions.

The easiest is to call Microsoft and let them sort it out. Activation and registration of a Microsoft product

Some of the procedures necessary for reinstalling some types of software are shrouded in mystery. As suggested, calling Microsoft is probably the best bet.

Was this an upgrade version of Windows 7, the one where you originally needed to have a prior OS installed? Microsoft should have a reference for your key and the computer combination, so hopefully they will just allow you to reactivate. You may have to go through the numbers game if you call, but that is not a big deal.

Let us know how it goes, and if this is a reinstall of an Update Version of Windows 7.

Also, make sure you are reading the key correctly, so characters do look like others.

Some of the procedures necessary for reinstalling some types of software are shrouded in mystery. As suggested, calling Microsoft is probably the best bet.

Was this an upgrade version of Windows 7, the one where you originally needed to have a prior OS installed? Microsoft should have a reference for your key and the computer combination, so hopefully they will just allow you to reactivate. You may have to go through the numbers game if you call, but that is not a big deal.

Let us know how it goes, and if this is a reinstall of an Update Version of Windows 7.

Also, make sure you are reading the key correctly, so characters do look like others.

Thanks for providing additional details on the key/computer combination & reactivation. It is an upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista. I'll try again this evening and update with results.

Ok, below is a transcript of the email sent while on the call that has the steps for this fix, need to call to get a support key generated. Basically this resets the associations of Windows 7 with a computer, allowing someone with a registered copy to use their passkey on a new install.

Dear Customer,

To allow us to better support you please run the Microsoft Support Diagnostic Tool using the steps below. The tool gathers diagnostic information useful in resolving your issue. From a computer that is connected to the internet:

1. Click on the Start button
2. Type "msdt" in the "Start Search" box, then select "msdt" from the programs list
3. Type your support key 0123456789 in the space provided and click next
4. Follow the onscreen instructions to run the diagnostics on this computer, or create a self-executable package for another computer.

Please note that this support key can be used to submit 1 time(s) the diagnostics results back to Microsoft until time(UTC)
For Frequently Asked Questions about the Microsoft Support Diagnostic Tool, click the link below:
Frequently asked questions about the Microsoft Support Diagnostic Tool (MSDT)

Back
Top Bottom