Upgrading windows vista 64 to windows 7 64

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by fatalpuls3, Oct 24, 2009.

1. fatalpuls3

fatalpuls3 New Member

I am recieving my free copy of windows 7 64bit. I was curious if i do a in place upgrade will it just upgrade my current windows installation and migrate all my programs to windows 7 or will it create a windows.old folder with all my stuff in there?

I know a fresh install is the way to go but i got my laptop setup the way i like it and i do not want to redo it. I have a few programs and games installed and was hoping this would all migrate to the windows 7 installation. I also realize there could be a lot of time involved in the windows 7 upgrade feature.

So im looking for information on how the windows 7 disc actually upgrades the current windows installation.. I have never done a windows upgrade before and figured with all the advancements that upgrading to windows 7 might not be so bad.

thanks in advance.

2. busydog

busydog New Member

You didn't say what version you are upgrading to and from, they should match, e.g. Ultimate to Ultimate. If you match (upgrade allowed), you will not create a windows.old folder if you choose the upgrade option. If you don't match, you will need to do a clean install and then you will create the windows.old folder.

3. fatalpuls3

fatalpuls3 New Member

I am upgrading from windows vista home premium 64 bit to windows 7 home premium 64 bit. that is what the dell laptop is eligible for upgrade to. So if i read what your saying right, if i get the same version of windows 7 as windows vista that i have now it will do an inplace upgrade and keep the same windows folder without creating a .old however if i upgrade to a different version of windows 7 other than the one that matches the home premium i have it will create a .old folder since it is a completely different version of windows?