Windows 7 USB Drive not shown/loaded after plugged in.

Basher

Honorable Member
Hey Chaps n Chapes's

I have a 120Gig USB drive that plugs into my pc (Win 7) and works fine. I gave it to a friend as it is surplus to requirement, but when i plugged it into there laptop which has also has Win 7 on, the light on the drive lights up but it doesn't actually connect. :(

Does anyone know why this might be?

Regards

Basher.

Hey Basher;
Does the drive have an external power source or does rely totally on a single USB connection for data and power? If so try to make sure you plug it into an actual MoBo USB port, rather that say one that has been piped out on a front header cable, or one that is part of a Hub.
Also you might try booting the PC with the drive connected and see if that makes a difference.

Cheers - I think the drive is "fork and kniffed" My PC is starting to have problems with it - o well, such is life :)

And thanks for the very quick and prompt replys

Basher

Great little devices when they work. Extremely disappointing when they let you down. Have you been able to determine if the problem is the actual drive mechanics or is it just the enclosure crossover electronics? In which case you might be able to use the actual drive elsewhere, unless of courses it's clicking and banging.

Hi Randy

The drive is quite enough - was going to take it out and give it a test with a hdu connector thingy :) if it works ok in that just need to get another case for it.

WD makes a power booster cable for their USB powered drives. It uses 2 USB ports I guess there are generic versions too.
Joe

Stripped the unit down and took out the drive and connected it via an adaptor I have and the drive was corrupt so I did a full format on it put it all back together and works ok now on my PC :)

Just waiting for friend to come around to try it on her laptop.

Basher

Thanks for the update Basher. Good to know. Just strange that you couldn't have accomplished something similar when the drive was still in the enclosure. So my suggestion might be, be careful as the electronics part of the enclosure may have been responsible for the corruption and may at some later time cause a similar problem.

To be honest Randy I only tried a quick format while it was in the case :-S but the good news is that it is now seen by the laptop.

Thanks for all the advice :)

Basher

Back