Windows 7 USB on/off

gardnerman

Hello
Please can anyone help.
When I boot my PC up (Win7 64) although there is no evidence on screen the bonk bonk sound when you plug in and unplug a usb device continually goes and after a minute or so it settles into just the unplug bonk bonk, this gradually gets less frequent as the time goes by.
How do I find what device is causing problems without unplugging all (not many), is there a screen that will show what is being turned on and off.

Hello Richard. If I'm following you correctly, go to Control Panel and click on Sounds. A box will pop up and click the Sounds tab. All actions that have a sound automatically attached will have a little speaker beside them. Other actions can have a sound attached to them as well, but you would have to manually add them. You can select each one and test the sound applied. Find the one that's bothering you then in the drop down menu beside the "test" button, select none and then click OK. Hope this works out for you. Please post again if it doesn't. Good Luck

Thank you for the reply but I fear you've misunderstood the sound I'm hearing is when a usb device is being plugged in and out, I was getting this continually after booting up with no sign of what was causing it to sound.
However I've booted up this evening and it now appears fine ????
Thank you for the instruction but I'm familiar with the sound box you speak of.

Thank you for the reply but I fear you've misunderstood the sound I'm hearing is when a usb device is being plugged in and out, I was getting this continually after booting up with no sign of what was causing it to sound.
However I've booted up this evening and it now appears fine ????
Thank you for the instruction but I'm familiar with the sound box you speak of.

Some external hard drives turn them selves off when there is no activity that may be the source.

For a start what USB devices do you have? Have you looked in the device manager to see if there anything marked with a yellow triangle?
Joe

Back