USB ports actiing strangely

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by artoo, Jul 24, 2012.

1. artoo

artoo Senior Member

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on troubleshooting a strange problem that occurs when I plug a Segate USB protable HD into any of the USB ports on my computer. From time to time when I plug it in, after a few seconds I get a dialog box saying that the drive is not formatted and asks if I want to format it, even though it has a bunch of programs and data on it. I unplug it and wait a while before plunging it back in and I'm usually able to access the programs and data on the drive.

Thanks

2. alberto

alberto New Member

Hi artoo, first thing I'd suggest is make a backup of everything on the drive FAST!
    Is the HD a self-contained unit or is it an internal SATA or IDE disk in an enclosure?

3. artoo

artoo Senior Member

the HD is a elf-contained unit and I don't seem to have this problem with other computers that I've tried. I recently had to do a re-installation of Windows when my internal HD crashed. I was starting to have this problem before that crash.

4. Pauli

Pauli Extraordinary Member
    Premium Supporter

Check your USB drivers. Uninstall - re-install. It should do the trick. If it doesn't help, it may be a hardware problem, either with your motherboard or the USB gadget.