Windows 7 USB ports not being recongized as 2.0

Amar patel

I noticed recently that for some reason,my USB ports aren't being identified as 2.0 ports, but I know they are. My computer is an ASUS CG5270, Specs: Core 2 Quad @ 2.4 GHZ,8 gigs ram, 750GB hard drive. I tried going into the device manager and uninstalling everything under "USB", and then restarting and replugging everything in..no luck. I found some Fix for Windows 7 SP1...no help. Whenever I go into the Device Manager, there are two ports ( I think they're ports) listed as "Enhanced", with the rest as "Universal". I keep getting errors when I plug in my external HD that "this device could perform faster". (I also get another message telling me that the drive needs to be formatted, but it works anyway) Any Ideas? I'm going crazy! I also get a "this device could perform faster" with my webcam, as well...

Go into your bios and change the USB setting from "full speed" 1.0 to "high speed" 2.0 and enable legacy support.

The 2.0 ports are frequently on the back of desktops also and the ones of front are often 1.0 on older units.
Joe

Go into your bios and change the USB setting from "full speed" 1.0 to "high speed" 2.0 and enable legacy support.

I did that already =( ... the speed was set to "normal" for USB 2.0 and then I Changed it to Hi-speed.

I also set Legacy support to "on"

no luck.

Also, even the ports on the back of my computer are giving me the message. My computer tells me that there are USB 2.0 ports on my computer, but I tried every single one and they all gave me the same message

Both of my systems show the same as yours, so I will assume this is normal. If you open device manager and look through the USB controllers and hubs you may notice certain things. One is the USB 2.0 uses a 20% bandwidth and the 1.1 seems to use 10%. They can say full-speed or high-speed. The Advanced Tab has quite a bit of this info and the Details tab can be used to see what device is connected by using the "Bus reported Name" (if available) from the Property drop down menu.

I do not know how the controller sets up the ports, but if you have a device you know is 2.0, you might try plugging it into different USB ports and then checking to see where it is in Device Manager and see what it is running as.

hm..I'm not seeing a section called "Bus reported Name".... I did try every single port on my computer, and every one of them gives me the same "this device could perform faster" message. I also checked the HD on my laptop (also windows 7), and it worked fine. This is really starting to get on my nerves, I really have no desire to reformat but I think I might have to. device manager.png

Here's a picture of my device manager. Notice that the top two controllers are listed as "Enhanced", while the others are listed as "Universal"...I don't know if this will help, hopefully it will

Last edited:
Not every entry has a Bus device name entry.

What I would suggest, if you have not already done so, is to download and install the Chipset Drivers for your system. Just confirm the link is the correct system.

There is one more thing I noticed. The bandwidth percentage shows as 20% or 10% on my systems. On one hub, my mouse and keyboard are listed with the mouse showing 2% and the keyboard showing 3%. If you have several 2.0 devices, could it be maxed out?

There is also a "Reset Hub" button on the Root Hub Advanced tab in properties. Don't know what it is supposed to do, but possibly it might help.

Last edited:
It tells me that the chipset driver I have is more up-to-date than the one on the site. I just tried uninstalling the hubs in safe mode (previously I did it in normal mode) and I think it's automatically reinstalling them (before, I had to plug something into them before it started installing... )

...automatically reinstalled them, but again, most of the ports were recognized as "universal"

On my two systems, with different chipsets, I show 8 host controllers with 2 of those being enhanced.

I also show 8 Root hubs with 2 of those being High Speed.

The full speed hubs show 2 ports available. The High Speed hubs show 6 ports available.

Two bottom 2 Root Hubs seem to the the high speed ones on both of my systems.

You can see from the attachments how mine seem to show up. Yours probably do also. If the device you seem to be having problems with shows it is on a high speed hub, we may need to look at something else, or see if removing some of the other devices on that hub might help.

Attachments

• USB.GIF
    USB.GIF
    35.2 KB · Views: 527
  • USB2.GIF
    USB2.GIF
    42.6 KB · Views: 520
2 Bottom Root hubs on mine also seem to be high speed. It's showing 6 available ports for each of them. I switched around way my devices are plugged in to idenfiy them...no luck...when I go to "properties", it doesn't show anything as plugged in, for the bottom two USB hubs

So here's what I did... I opened up all the USB Hubs in the device manager (there were 8 of them), in the order that they appeared in the list. For some reason, the high-speed ports are now 3 and 4, while the others are "full speed"

I then plugged the hard drive into each USB port, on the back of my computer,
Top Right- Hub 5
Top left- Hub 5
Middle Left- Hub 2
Middle Right- Hub 2
Bottom Left- Hub 1
Bottom Right- Hub 1

On front 2 ports:
top port: Hub 7
bottom port: Hub 7

it's like Hubs 3,4,6,and 8 don't exist. Odd.

looking at the DM, and the mobo itself, the ports appear to be in pairs.

This would make sense, since there are a total of 8 USB ports on machine= 4 pairs of 2 ports. Now I just need to figure out where the missing 3 pairs are! There seems to be a 3-pin jumper labeled "USB 1-6" could that have anything to do with it?

I tried the USB 2.0 PCI card that I got from best buy, and it's working flawlessly. I'd like to fix the other ports though.

Do you have any built in card readers? I think they can fall under USB even though they are not removable.
Joe

I do. That might be it.

I just noticed, my speakers aren't working either. My mobo has built in 7.1 (Reaktek), and it's not showing up in the sound menu...odd.

Still no luck with these damn USB ports. I installed the latest update (the one that supposidly fixed the USB ports), then went into safe mode again, and deleted all the ports/ hubs etc. Restarted--everything reinstalled, but as universal ports. this is really annoying...any idea?

Unless the ports are actually mechanically broken for some reason, I will have to stay with the new drivers needed option. Since I am not sure of what motherboard or chipset (maybe x58) you are running, I cannot check the Intel site for an update. If your literature states a chipset or motherboard, I would try getting an update from Intel.

But if the Bios is set up correctly (don't know if you need a bios update), then logically it seems only two things could be wrong. One being a mechanical problem with the 2.0 controller, or the drivers are not sufficient.

How can I find out what kind of mobo/chipset I've got?

I looked for a Bios update on the Asus website, but it told me that I had a newer version than the one offered.

I just threw another copy of windows on it, so maybe that'll fix the problem

Open the computer and look at the motherboard. The model should be stamped on the board.

Also you can run msinfo32.exe to see the board or other system information. While you are there, check the Components-Problem Devices entry.

ran msinfo32.exe

Bios Version/date: American Megatrends Inc 0206,5/12/2009
(can't find mobo version), I know it's by intel

There are a bunch of things listed under Conflicts/Sharing if that helps.

This is all under the fresh copy of windows I installed. I'm still having problems..getting that stupid error message, and my transfer speeds are 1 MB/s

Back