Windows 7 USB3

swood

It's possibly the speed of the HDD in the enclosure. I get about the same with my external drive.

But it does say 3x faster in the description, so legally it should be faster than it actually is transferring. Hoping someone else has had this problem and resolved it,

The USB 3.0 interface is 3x faster but the HDD isn't. When they start putting ssd's in the caddys then you'll see an increase of speed.
At the moment unfortunately your held back by the hard disk.

Your laptop only supports USB 1.1 according to it's specifications. Not only does the external HDD have to be USB 3 but your motherboards USB ports would also have to be USB 3 specification to achieve the faster transfer speeds. Your device is a USB 3.0 external hard drive but running in backwards compatibility to work on the USB 1.1 bus speeds.

The 10" model only has usb 1.1, finding it difficult to find the specs of the 15.6" version.

Last edited:
The sata hdd within the enclosure can't do the speed that usb 3.0 can. The interface itself could push and pull the 5Gbps but a HDD is never going to do 625MBps. The speed of the encloser is just limited by the write and read speed of the hdd.

Unfortunately you fell for the marketing on the box :(

Last edited:
Shouldn't hate tachnology, but the companies that label products in such a way as to mislead. Technically they're not lying though. As the USB 3.0 interface is theoretically 3x faster.

I don't have all the specifics about the numbers, but I do have an external USB 3.0 device. I use and enclosure I can add whatever hard drive I want and I put in a SATA II drive. Don't know what the numbers are, but if you tell me how your are measuring and what type of file you are transferring, I will check mine.

I do have special ports that are colored red and made sure to load the drivers for the 3.0 controller.

Is you cable larger than a normal USB 2.0 cable?

If you plug the device into a 2.0 port, do you get a message about transferring faster if you use a 3.0 port?

At the moment unfortunately your held back by the hard disk.
Not just the disk, but the OS and the amount of RAM too. It is a pretty complex operation to transfer files from one drive to another on the same computer. It has to read from one drive, write, then verify the write, then dump the data in RAM and read another chunk from the source drive. All the while, the transferred data is competing for RAM space with the OS and anything else running.

Old thread alert but it may help someone..........I have a similar WD MyBook 1TB USB3 drive and get about 22Mb/s using USB2 ports and about 85Mb/s using a PCI-e USB3 4 port expansion card using a VIA VL800 chip. The WD box had performance graphs on it that more or less correspond with this ratio of performance gain between USB2 and USB3.

Back