Windows 7 User Accounts

GuyandMaine

Someone worked on my computer (a pro) and established a new User Account. I would like to delete the Old Account which is what he named it. When I click on the new account, there is no option to delete the other one.

Would appreciate any feedback any of might come up with. Thanks.

GuyandMaine
Hello and welcome to the forum.
First I would recommend backing up any critical data that might be contained in the user profile that you wish to delete.
Open Control Panel and change the view to small icons (top right corner view by: drop down arrow.).
Select the User Accounts applet
Then the Manage another account link
Then the account you wish to delete
Then the Delete the account link
At this point you can choose to Delete Files or Keep Files associated with the that profile.
Regards
Randy

Hi Randy, thanks for taking the time to respond. I had already finished all of the steps you listed (several times), but had never changed the size of the icons. Couldn't believe that would make a difference, but I tried it anyway. Unfortunately, I still not have an option to delete the account.... just Change name, Change PW, Remove PW, Change Picture, Set up Parental Controls.

I know I don't need the files in that account. It has just been sitting there for almost a year, and I've been trying for a year to get rid of it. The problem is that we use the computer(s) a lot in our little freelancing efforts, and the first one into the office turns them on. Well, of course all the rest of them go right to the desktop, but this one hangs until you select the account. No biggie, just annoying, and it irritates me that I can't fix it.

But I appreciate your assistance.

'Maine

That would indicate to me that the user account that you are using while attempting to administer these other accounts is somehow deprecated and does not have the necessary permissions to delete these other accounts.
You may want to try performing the same or similar steps using the built in (but hidden) Administrators account.
After first having enabled it
To enable the build-in Administrator account, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
2. In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
3. When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
4. At the command prompt, type net user administrator /active:yes, and then press ENTER.
5. Type net user administrator <Password>, and then press ENTER.
Note: Please replace the <Password> tag with your passwords which you want to set to administrator account.
6. Type exit, and then press ENTER.
7. Log off the current user account.
SOURCE: HOW TO: Enable the build-in Administrator account in Windows Vista
If that doesn't do the trick, maybe try doing it using the alternate Safe Mode Boot and logging on with the administrator's account that you've previously enabled.
Good luck
Randy

OK, I think I'll have lunch first. I will definitely let you know how it works. Thanks.....'Maie

Back
Top Bottom