Windows 7 Using hidden folder on Microsoft Windows Operating Systems

TALLY

I am doing a class assignment for school on hidden folders on windows operating system and how to use them.

Does anyone know anything cool about them that I maybe do not know? Like maybe shortcuts or special functions that the average person might not know. I know its not that wide of a topic, but I am probably going to use this thread in my bibliography and I can always use more stuff in my bibliography. So would you guys maybe tell me everything you know about hidden folders? Much appreciated.

-TALLY

When hidden files and folders were first introduced they were very useful but now everybody knows how to show them all they're not so useful. But you can still create really "invisible" folders:

To test this create a new folder somewhere and delete its name. With your cursor still in the blanked out name of the folder hold down the ALT key and use the numeric pad to enter the digits 0160 and press enter. This should leave the name of you folder "invisible". But the folder graphic itself is still showing - to get rid of this right click on the folder, select "properties", click on the customize tab and select "change icon". Scrolling thru the available icons you should see some transparent ones (by definition you may not see them but they occupy a space"!). Select that and you should then find that the folder and its name have disappeared from your listings - a really hidden folder cos it's invisible! Don't forget where you put it because until you reverse what you have just done you won't be able to see it either :)

Hi

If you want to really create Invisible Folders try Magic Folders, I have used it for years.
All my financial stuff, credit card numbers and bank files, Investment accounts are protected this way.

I'm paranoid! I think that people are going to hack into my computer and get my data.
While this isn't really likely, it makes me feel better.

PC Magic Software - Product Downloads

Mike

When hidden files and folders were first introduced they were very useful but now everybody knows how to show them all they're not so useful. But you can still create really "invisible" folders:

To test this create a new folder somewhere and delete its name. With your cursor still in the blanked out name of the folder hold down the ALT key and use the numeric pad to enter the digits 0160 and press enter. This should leave the name of you folder "invisible". But the folder graphic itself is still showing - to get rid of this right click on the folder, select "properties", click on the customize tab and select "change icon". Scrolling thru the available icons you should see some transparent ones (by definition you may not see them but they occupy a space"!). Select that and you should then find that the folder and its name have disappeared from your listings - a really hidden folder cos it's invisible! Don't forget where you put it because until you reverse what you have just done you won't be able to see it either :)

Awesome. Thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for.

MikeHawthone - I was trying not to use any type of software. Thank you for your help, though.

Back