Windows 8 very curious

lorenkjr1

Extraordinary Member
I just 75/35 Verizon Fios a few days ago. After getting it and setting up everything, I found to my surprise my laptop wireless could not come anywhere close to that kind of speed increase. So I decided to try a Netgear dual 2.4/5 ghz usb2 wireless device on the laptop. Humm, again the results the results were surprising. this resulted in speeds that were right in line with the speed increase. My curiosity would like to know why the internal wireless adapter will not accede 65megabytes, while the external Netgear adapter exceeds 130megabytes at least at times anyway. I thought all wireless N works in the same manner? But, seeing this I have to assume that statement to be untrue.

What device is your internal wireless? Are you SURE its running in Wireless-N mode and not G? Most of these wireless routers operate dual bands, one for legacy b/g stuff and one for N.

Sorry about not including that. The internal wireless is a Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG wireless adaptor. When I do a system check it claims it's wireless N mode. However, one thing that I have not mentioned is it appears the wireless driver is from 2012, and I running Windows 8. This I guess could present some serious inconsistencies with it's performance? Thanks for the reply. Oh yes, my assumption is that if the internal wireless is working at all, then it's working correctly. Would this assumption be correct?

I believe the AR9485WB-EG is a single band device, meaning it's max connection speed is 150mbps. Your other adapter is most likely a dual-band which should reach around 300mbps.

There are even Wireless-N receivers that support 3x3 MiMo with 3 antenna which can reach 450mbps.

Of course I could be completely wrong as I know more about Wireless Routers than the adapters themselves.

Well that. that's about right. The only addition I think Sony made to it, is to limit it to 65megabytes, instead of letting go up to 130megabytes as it really normally should. I don't mind but, I wish I had had more knowledge about the laptop when I bought. The Netgear operates cleanly up 144megabytes.

When all else fails, take it a apart and see what your options are on upgrading your internal wireless. 9 times out of 10 its a mini pci card that you can replace with a different after market module that may be better. Only thing to beware of is that the antenna is usually pre-ran up and around your screen, therefore if you buy a new adapter that needs 3 wires and your laptop only has 2, you would have to do some manual hacking.

Also sometimes your WiFi card will also be your Bluetooth card, an all in one job.

But don't let that deter you from "owning" your laptop ;)

P.S. I'm not liable if you break it!

If you have a 3 antenna card, here's a link to get you started. But do your own homework..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106062

Last edited:
No you are not. But, one day I just might shoot this turkey for the Hell of it. I might just get some pleasure out of that. But, only when I determine it has no further use to me. Right now it's still the best one I have owned yet. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom