Windows 7 Very poor performance, drivers issue?

markknight

Hi all
My system:
Windows 7 ultimate 64BIT
Intel Q6600 2.4GHz
Asus P5KR (Intel P35)
Two HD in RAID mirror
8GB RAM
Nvidia 8800GT
I'm experiencing very poor performance, tons of hangs lags and system Busy.
Applications gets into "Not Responding" for a few seconds all the time.
System worked great on Vista 64BIT till a few days ago with Asus official drivers.
At first I did the fresh installation when windows installed its default drivers, and started notice this issue.
I could not find official windows 7 64BIT on Asus site so I installed the Vista 64 drivers on another fresh install – didn’t help, still getting same symptoms, tons of hangs lags and system Busy. Application gets into "Not Responding" for 3-10 seconds all the time.
I downloaded W7 64BIT chipset and Raid drivers from Intel and installed them on another fresh install of windows, didn’t help, and still same issues.
In the P35 chipset installation I need to install them manually, but was not sure what devices should I reinstall and what to select from the list.
frustrating :(
Any ideas how to resolve this?

Mark

37 after boot
settle down? Last installation was more than two weeks now, this should be fixed immediately after the proper driver installation and boot, never heard about system needs time to settle down :p

Removal of non essential services was important in Vista, and the reason for it's snailpace.
It is not required in Windows 7, as the method of utilising services/drivers, has been improved, and they are not using resources to any degree. (Unless actually in use for essentials, of course.)
The search indexing can cause the problem you are experiencing, as it builds up an index, but two weeks is an extraordinary time for it to be still troubling you.
If you want to test this you can open Programs and features in the Control panel (Icon view) and, over on the left, Turn Windows features on or off. Scroll down to the Windows search and untick it. You will then have to reboot. If you find it was a useful feature, you can reverse this procedure again.
Open Msconfig, (Type Msconfig in the start box)and look under the Starup tab.Many thrid party programs put there gear in here. Most do not need to run resident and will respond on demand. You can untick any you are sure about. Things such as Real player, Itunes, quicktime. The list is long. You may see a java symbol there also. This is an update schedule. If you are prepared to update manually, this also is not required.
As an extreme example, I only have my Anti virus program ticked as resident there!
If you are unsure about some of these, post a screen shot and someone here will help you.

The indexing and virus scanning can impact performance but it should not be happening often.

There are three sources of bottlenecks on any system. They are CPU utilization, Memory demand, and IO activity. The three can be interconnected. For example, low memory may cause an IO bottleneck due to excessive paging to VM.

In any case, I suggest you set up a mechanism to watch these parameters and get a feel for where the problem might be. A desktop gadget that monitors CPU and memory is readily available. I have one up at all times to monitor all four cores, memory, and core temperatures. It is free and available here Link Removed - Invalid URL

They also have a good network monitor that I have up constantly.

To go deeper, you can run either, or both, Task Manager and/or Resource Monitor. Both use a modest amount of resources themselves so you won't want to run them constantly but to identify which processes are eating CPU, Memory and IO, they are very good.

Hi all
My system:
Windows 7 ultimate 64BIT
Intel Q6600 2.4GHz
Asus P5KR (Intel P35)
Two HD in RAID mirror
8GB RAM
Nvidia 8800GT
I'm experiencing very poor performance, tons of hangs lags and system Busy.
Applications gets into "Not Responding" for a few seconds all the time.
System worked great on Vista 64BIT till a few days ago with Asus official drivers.
At first I did the fresh installation when windows installed its default drivers, and started notice this issue.
I could not find official windows 7 64BIT on Asus site so I installed the Vista 64 drivers on another fresh install – didn’t help, still getting same symptoms, tons of hangs lags and system Busy. Application gets into "Not Responding" for 3-10 seconds all the time.
I downloaded W7 64BIT chipset and Raid drivers from Intel and installed them on another fresh install of windows, didn’t help, and still same issues.
In the P35 chipset installation I need to install them manually, but was not sure what devices should I reinstall and what to select from the list.
frustrating :(
Any ideas how to resolve this?

Mark

Out of interest are you running with the latest system Bios?

Back
Top Bottom