Windows 7 Video Card?

Nothing fancy here. Either ATI HD 2400 or Nvidia 8500GT. The 8500GT is faster but, it sure does heat up. But, since that is normal for either card I will not worry about it. Which reminds me, can I install a better card since I got a big bad power supply now?

I just attempted to install my old ATI X1950XTX in my wifes PC...PSU doesn't have a pci express plug (it came with the case) :( So I had to order a new one.

On a more positive note That gives me a spare to install in the real "Frank-n-stine" to get him back on his feet after being retired for about 4 years.
But that is a story that will have to be told in another thread. :D

So now you are an ATI guy...I knew you would come around to the dark side. :D

Lol, actually I've only owned one Nvidia card which was the 8800 (a brilliant buy at the time).
I've had a ATI 9600 as well as the once great 9800 which was a great card for the time... Oh I tell a lie, I once owned a MX440 but lets keep that quiet..shhh

One thing I noticed and forgot to mention was when I first replaced my old card for this one was how much more stable my rig became. I know Nvidia has issues with it's drivers and stability : Nvidia drivers named as lead Vista crash cause in 2007 | Register Hardware
but this was quite noticeable. It's not that my machine was really unstable, it's just that when you use your pc as much as we do, you get to notice all the little idiosyncrasies that develop and after installing the new card/driver all the little bugs had gone (not that there were many). Fortunately these haven't been replaced by a whole new set of bugs to do with ATI drivers so as well as getting a great new card my system is more stable to boot (no pun intended lol).. :cool:

Hey Fatboy,
I started testing the system last night and am scoring around 12,000 in 3D Mark 06. This is almost a 25% increase from my old card so I'm very happy.
Using these charts here:
VGA Charts - 3DMark06 - 3DMark Vantage
I know I'm pretty near to what this card delivers in the mainstream although once I've finished tweaking and what have you I'm sure i'll get it bit more out of it... I think they have your card down at 13,000 or so, although using a quad core monster chip will change the scores quite a bit. (You get around 16,000 if I remember correctly). You lucky bugger!

NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2 1GB DDR - It is a good card. Came with my Dell. Not into much gaming and probably won't change for awhile.

Yup, still a good card especially now drivers have improved a little. I should imagine that for an 'occaisional' gamer the card will keep you going for years... :)

Hey Fatboy,
I started testing the system last night and am scoring around 12,000 in 3D Mark 06. This is almost a 50% increase from my old card so I'm very happy.
Using these charts here:
VGA Charts - 3DMark06 - 3DMark Vantage
I know I'm pretty near to what this card delivers in the mainstream although once I've finished tweaking and what have you I'm sure I'll get it bit more out of it... I think they have your card down at 13,000 or so, although using a quad core monster chip will change the scores quite a bit. (You get around 16,000 if I remember correctly). You lucky bugger!

16923 :D
I held the #1 spot (with similar hardware) for about 8 weeks :cool:

Great score! Knowing you've built a system that runs great is very, very satisfieing. Personally I'd never buy a prebuilt system (unless I was very rich, I saw a system the other month that cost around $100,000, the whole thing was submerged in a special liquid) anyhow building your own set-up is much more fun too...:D:D

I have always been a fan of Nvidia, currently usning an N9800GX2.
However i am tempted to the Dark Side by a 4870X2. Aaaaahhhhhhh nice.

Phil.

I think at the moment the consumer is in a totally win,win situation. Can you imagine how much these cards would cost if ATI/AMD and Nvidia weren't having a price war right now?
Back to the 4870X2, one is nice but two would be awesome!

Back