video display deficiency in aero

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Graphics' started by scruffy1, Mar 11, 2011.

1. scruffy1

scruffy1 Well-Known Member

i keep being told "visual effects settings aren't optimized for best appearance" and the aero theme reverts to basic

given i have an hd5770 and an e8400 plus 4gb of 1066 ram i am a little fussed that windoze 7 64bit seems unhappy with my resources being adequate

it was fine until quite recently, and no major hardware changes have been made, and no, i am hardly pushing the envelope with ram resources usually used around the 25% mark

i did however recently install sp1, but it wasn't an issue immediately, so i am a bit stumped

the aero troubleshooter tells me the "desktop window manager is disabled" and if i let it apply the fix it seems fine, till shortly thereafter it complains again and downgrades the video once more

any ideas ?

#1 scruffy1, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  2. Highwayman

Highwayman Extraordinary Member

Pop to the control panel, select "system & Security" tab, then "system" tab, then "Advanced system settings", you should get a popup window and click the Performance "Settings" box, then finally you will get a full rundown of what visual effects are set to, choose best appearance to enable full aero mode then apply.

3. Highwayman

Also if the issue persists, try reinstalling the latest official catalyst drivers from amd.com

4. scruffy1

scruffy1 Well-Known Member

sazzafrazzin' sucky amd drivers....

and despite a good run, i still find that i get to bluescreen running embedded video intermittently, which is very weird given i can game for hours without issue even when i switch on overdrive, but stock video speed and video embedding = russian roulette

5. Highwayman

maybe disable the video acceleration option on catalyst, could be that part of the driver is the problem, with a decent cpu it should be fine and lag free.