Windows Vista Video skips a lot

joelstitch

For some reason any video I play on my computer skips. It doesn't matter what kind of video (youtube, netflix, avi, mpeg, etc) it always skips. Sometime it makes the video be out of sync. I have a HP Pavilion dv6629us with a NVIDIA GeForce 7150M. I think this started happening from doing a BIOS update. I downgraded the BIOS to the original and it still has the video issues.

Here is a video of a video playing on netflix:
Video skipping - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
Do what bassfisher said since those can help.

If videos on your computer also skip, I am almost sure it's a hardware issue (can be a driver of the hardware too).
This model is not a super strong computer but that should be no excuse for nor being able to play a video smoothly.

1. Did this happen since you purchased the computer or recently? (If recently, try a system restore).
2. Try updating video and graphic drivers: Link Removed - Invalid URL
3. Try disabling background processes.
4. Start your computer while using F8 and instead of choosing safe mode, choose to start the computer while disabling drivers. (There is an option for this I just don't remember the option verbatim.) If it works, it's a driver issue.
5. Try to play a low res video. If it works, it's a problem with buffering.
6. Ask for help on the HP site: Link Removed - Invalid URL

Get back to us on your progress.

I downgraded my video card driver to 15.26_nforce_winvista32_international_whql.exe and so far is working. I'll keep you all updated in a few days.

It seems like the problem is mostly with Netflix. The avi/mpeg/etc run mostly fine and freeze here and there but not as bad as Netflix. I tried playing around with Silverlight but had no luck.

Back