Windows 7 Virtual machine

Peterr

Fantastic Member
Hello
Win 7 home premium, i5,1T 3.30 GHz

Why would you want to use a VM?
I tinker a lot and was told I could just delete the VM if I had trouble.
Would this VM help one who explores and tinkers to learn and can the VM be removed?
Thank you for your help.
Peter

You can delete the VM when ever you like. It basicly keeps whatever you are doing isolated from your actual PC to prevent destroying your OS.
I use Oracle VM box, but there is also VMware.

Thank you very much for the information;I'll give it a try so I can continue to explore and learn wihout damage to my o.s.

You don't mention what version of 7 you're using but I have 7 Home Premium without Microsoft's VM. I'm using VMWare so I can have XP available with all the software that 7 doesn't support anymore. My CCreator, my phone for ebooks, my Casio camera for pictures, etc.

Without VMWare I would need another computer that has XP OS on it. I have two computers in one. Win 7 and XP. Best of both worlds.

You don't mention what version of 7 you're using but I have 7 Home Premium without Microsoft's VM. I'm using VMWare so I can have XP available with all the software that 7 doesn't support anymore. My CCreator, my phone for ebooks, my Casio camera for pictures, etc.

Without VMWare I would need another computer that has XP OS on it. I have two computers in one. Win 7 and XP. Best of both worlds.

>>I see. So after you install any VM you still have to install drivers etc then the os you wish to use.
I though one of the VMs had drivers installed but may be wrong.

I have my own copy of XP. After I installed VMWare I opened it and installed XP complete. I then installed my copy of Microsoft Office, Calendar Creator, Kyocera software for loading ebooks, etc. and my Casio camera software. None of which was W7 compatible; only up to XP.

You can add whatever software you want to your new XP OS under VMWare. Download and install VMWare and take a tour. Good luck.

I have my own copy of XP. After I installed VMWare I opened it and installed XP complete. I then installed my copy of Microsoft Office, Calendar Creator, Kyocera software for loading ebooks, etc. and my Casio camera software. None of which was W7 compatible; only up to XP.

You can add whatever software you want to your new XP OS under VMWare. Download and install VMWare and take a tour. Good luck.

>>Could I install the Oracle virtual box then install the current os(Win 7x64) so that if I made an error I could just remove it?
I have the key for the originaal os and the disc.I have no keys for xp.

What I have done is, using a docking station and a spare HDD, cloned my W7 SSD, complete, to my HDD using EaseUS ToDo software. This way, if something goes wrong I can clone back from the HDD to my SSD and restore my W7 in its' entirety.

What I have done is, using a docking station and a spare HDD, cloned my W7 SSD, complete, to my HDD using EaseUS ToDo software. This way, if something goes wrong I can clone back from the HDD to my SSD and restore my W7 in its' entirety.

>>That is more than I can do -good for you.
I have an image on my Hard drive via Acronis in case. Two removable media hold my data.

I understand you need a key to install your own Win 7 into the VM and was wondering if there is any VM like the xp one that does require a key.
I do not know how to get a key.
I do have the os for Win 7 but not for xp. Does that mean I can not use any os with any VM without a key? The only key I have is for Office so I know how to use one.

My laptop has my Win 7 Key on the bottom.

Thank you very much for pointing that out to me. I know MS won't let you install your own os in the VM but I gave my neighbor my xp so maybe I can use that key and disc to do this.

>>That is more than I can do -good for you.
I have an image on my Hard drive via Acronis in case. Two removable media hold my data.

I understand you need a key to install your own Win 7 into the VM and was wondering if there is any VM like the xp one that does require a key.
I do not know how to get a key.
I do have the os for Win 7 but not for xp. Does that mean I can not use any os with any VM without a key? The only key I have is for Office so I know how to use one.

Installing in a VM is just like installing on a hard disk, you MUST have a valid key to activate the OS.
With VMWARE once it is installed and a VM is completed there are drivers (free) from them that you load they are called guest additions.
The only free OS you could install would be a Linix version such as UBUNTU.

Installing in a VM is just like installing on a hard disk, you MUST have a valid key to activate the OS.
With VMWARE once it is installed and a VM is completed there are drivers (free) from them that you load they are called guest additions.
The only free OS you could install would be a Linix version such as UBUNTU.

>>If I have an old xp disc, could i use it to install in a VM?

Yes as long as you have the key. You will be asked to activate it. Choose over the Internet and it will go fast.

Yes as long as you have the key. You will be asked to activate it. Choose over the Internet and it will go fast.

I bought preloaded Dell XP years ago and do not remember getting a key with the disc.
Would the key be on the pc itself(OEM) or where?

I bought preloaded Dell XP years ago and do not remember getting a key with the disc.
Would the key be on the pc itself(OEM) or where?
Laptops are on the bottom, desktops are on the top, side, or back, depending on the mfg.

Back