Windows 7 Virtual PC beta is alot different..

sniffs

So, I'm running 64bit RC and because of Cisco's refusal to make a 64bit VPN client, I'm pretty much stuck with running a Virtual PC so that I can use the VPN to RDP into my servers..

Well, I downloaded the new Virtual PC Beta, and it's really becoming a show stopper for me. I'll go back to vista if I cant get it working correctly..

I am using a .VHD from Virtual PC2007 in the new Virtual PC beta for Windows 7.. loads, and runs fine.. however there are a few issues.

1. I cant get the screen to go full screen, no options for it either. Right alt-enter doesnt do anything.
2. It's now capturing the mouse and I have to alt-tab to get the mouse free. It says to use Right Ctrl, Right Alt and Left arrow which says it releases the mouse, but it doesnt..instead it changes the orientation of my desktop.
3. "Integration Features". So I am trying to get it enabled.. .ISO is mounted into my virtual PC, it attempst to install then fails. So, I cant enable those features.

I am on a Dell Latitude E6400, with Windows 7 64BIT RC.. Win7 runs fine.. my sole issue is with the Virtual PC and those 3 points.. anyone have a way to fix those 3 issues?

Hi there
For Full Screen mode just click the box in front of the X on the top right of the Window screen (just like "Standard Windows").

I'm not sure about the other problems as the XP mode is automatically enabled "Integrated". If you need to mount a Virtual ISO file on the Virtual PC you need to ensure that the ISO file is available and mounted on the HOST so you can define that as the DVD / CD device in the Virtual Machine configuration.

Otherwise install the Virtual ISO software in the Virtual machine and mount the ISO manually on the VM.

Cheers
jimbo

You referring to the Maximize button? I'll have to check that out.

I didn't use the XPMode download from Microsoft.. I basically just took a .VHD which I created under my Vista/VPC2007 box and copied it to my Win7 box.

It imports correctly, runs fine.. When I try and install the XPMode executable from Microsoft, it tells me that there's already an XP Mode installation (which I assume it's referring to my VHD that I copied).

Also, is there any way to keep it from capturing the mouse?

So, I'm running 64bit RC and because of Cisco's refusal to make a 64bit VPN client, I'm pretty much stuck with running a Virtual PC so that I can use the VPN to RDP into my servers..

Which version of the Cisco VPN client are you running? I was using their beta Vista client (albeit on a 32 bit Vista laptop) and was hoping to be able to use it with Windows 7 64 bit! If that is the version you were trying, then I think I will end up installing Windows 7 RC 32 bit instead! Since I need the client to access work systems.

Back