Windows 7 Virtualization question

john3347

Extraordinary Member
Premium Supporter
Can a standard installation CD (with installation key) be used to install a virtual OS with Virtual PC or VM Ware Player to a Windows XP or Windows 7 computer, or is a virtual appliance a special version of an application and necessary for a virtual machine? I want to install a Windows 98SE, or Windows 2000 virtual OS.

If the answer to the above question is affirmative, is it within the scope of this forum to offer instructions how to perform the described installation?

Thanks, John

John, I understand that virtual OS runs from a CD or DVD without writing anything to the hard drive, if that what you entend to do, then there are many software tools to help you build this CD or DVD from a Windows installation CD or DVD.

Microsoft Virtual PC still has certain compatibility issues, but generally it works on Windows 7. It installs your virtual os on a virtual drive (which is an image file).

Virtual Box is a great alternative to Microsoft Virtual PC, which is compattible with 7 and supports x86 guest operating systems. Virtual box may not support Windows 95.

Neither Microsoft Virtual PC nor Virtual Box require virtual appliances.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

A virtual appliance is a small description file required to install and run a virtual machine on VMWare.

A virtual appliance is a virtual machine image file consisting of a preconfigured operating system environment and a single application. The purpose of a virtual appliance is to simplify delivery and operation of the application. To this end, only necessary operating system components are included.

Deploying an application as a virtual appliance eliminates problems with installation and configuration, such as software or driver compatibility issues. Users can simply download a single file and run the application. Resources required for maintenance are also reduced. Developers can include a Web interface for custom configurations or delivering patches and updates.

A virtual appliance is often deployed as a subset of a virtual machine running on virtualization technology, such as VMware.

Can a standard installation CD (with installation key) be used to install a virtual OS with Virtual PC or VM Ware Player to a Windows XP or Windows 7 computer, or is a virtual appliance a special version of an application and necessary for a virtual machine? I want to install a Windows 98SE, or Windows 2000 virtual OS.

If the answer to the above question is affirmative, is it within the scope of this forum to offer instructions how to perform the described installation?

Thanks, John

Hi John,
this link might prove helpful plus I have to enable virtualisation in the Bios so make sure yours in enabled too if need be...

Windows Virtual PC - Create Virtual Machine - Windows 7 Forums

Back