Windows 7 Virus Fallout

dace9000

Hi Everyone,

My computer was recently infected with malware, which I got rid of with Malwarebytes, but I have this lingering irritating error message from windows everytime I start the computer. A printscreen of the error message is attached, but essentially the error message states that there was an error starting a certain .dll file, because the file could not be found. I've looked up the .dll file and it was part of the malware. So, my question has 2 parts:

1. What in the windows startup process directs the OS to search for, and run certain files?
2. How do I stop windows from looking for, and attempting to start that file in the future? I super tired of seeing the message.

THanks!

Attachments

• ErrorMessage.png
    ErrorMessage.png
    32 KB · Views: 297
Msconfig.exe will give you some control over startups but not as much as AutoRuns as Pat suggests.

The entry is in the Registry, usually, in certain locations. So something has to either move it out of the area to run programs, or delete it. Sometimes, startups get put in the Start Menu, All Programs, Startup folder, so you might check there also.

Back
Top Bottom