Windows 8 Virus

sameh83

On my sony VAIO duo 11 windows 8, I have a virus that makes everything a "shortcut" especially on my flash drives. The problem is, I want to reinstall windows from the recovery partition that's on the HDD. However, every time I try to copy the recovery partition onto a flash drive, it copies over to the flash drive in a "shortcut" fashion which hinders me from creating a bootable flash drive. I tried malware bytes and other antivirus programs to make it stop creating shortcuts but to no avail. I need help.

Are you talking about ".lnk" issue? You can restore it back. There are many tutorials on the net. Just google up ".lnk" (note: "l" is "L" not big "i" ). I had that problem before and I didn't have to do a recovery.

On my sony VAIO duo 11 windows 8, I have a virus that makes everything a "shortcut" especially on my flash drives. The problem is, I want to reinstall windows from the recovery partition that's on the HDD. However, every time I try to copy the recovery partition onto a flash drive, it copies over to the flash drive in a "shortcut" fashion which hinders me from creating a bootable flash drive. I tried malware bytes and other antivirus programs to make it stop creating shortcuts but to no avail. I need help.

Give this a try..... restore Default file associations.
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/8486-default-file-associations-restore-windows-8-a.html

Scroll down to exe - Executable application files.
and follow the instructions at the top from #1 to #7.

Scroll down to lnk - Shortcut link (LNK) files.
and do the same as above.

Back
Top Bottom