Windows 10 Virus??

Gengarus

Hi I'm new to the forum and would like to see if any one knows what this is It's called trade-off. I took a picture of it on my son's computer it keeps popping up a lot I'm worried if it's a virus or if the OS is corrupted. Any help is appreciated, please see attached picture.
20170202_201207.jpg

Sent from my LG-H901 using Windows Forums mobile app

there is no "tradeoff" software in Windows.
there is a Java program called "Trade off" (note the space in the name) that is used to swap game codes.

in any event, I recommend you go ahead and run your virus scans

Hi

Make sure you run Malwarebytes, if your don't have it download and install it.

Free Anti-Malware & Malware Removal

Just get the free one, it will work completely for 2 weeks, and is still an effective tool after the trial period.

What's weird is that I find absolutely zero hits for "Tradeoff has stopped working" with or without the space.

That makes me think that this is not a virus or malware since it would mean that no one else has reported it.
Either that or you are one of the first anyplace to be infected.

Mike

welcome to windowsforum, gengarus
• left-click … clicking left-button on mouse.
• right-click … clicking right-button on mouse.
• save images incrementally and with unique names … avoid overwriting images.
• taking screen-cap? refer to bottom of this post.
• think like a hack … place yourself in that point of perspective.
• at every step of the way … take notes by typing into notepad … always saving the text-document with "unix" accessibility …​

… for instance, the path to a certain program on your computer … a web-site address … the install-date of a program … an error# window popping into view … etc. also, follow through by taking screen-caps.

things are not always as they seem. in other words, just because it appears the program's name is "tradeoff" … it could masquerade by utilizing certain unix-codes for alpha-characters. that's why it is important to copy/paste things like program paths and other interests.

let's start from the top, gengarus

why you used cell-phone to take pic? why you did not use windows screen-cap utility? computers are not toys … they also are not babysitters. if you give your child a computer … it is your sole responsibility to lock down the computer … so nothing can install. period.

now … access the child's computer. take screen-cap of that "tradeoff" window you claim pops into view … immediately, "paste" the screen-cap into windows-paint utility … save the image in a folder on desktop … label the folder "working" … close the image.

open windows task-manager … left-click tab "details" … scroll down until you can see "tradeoff" … take screen-cap of the window … "paste" the image into windows-paint utility … save it in your "working" folder on desktop. now, right-click one time on "tradeoff" program … choose "search online" … bookmark the page that is displayed. this bookmark should reside in a unique space easily accessible to yourself.

still in task-manager … left-click tab "services" … at bottom of window, left-click "extended". now, scroll down until you can see "tradeoff" … left-click one time on "tradeoff" service … take screen-cap of the window … "paste" the image into windows-paint utility … save it in your "working" folder on desktop. now, right-click one time on "tradeoff" program … choose "search online" … bookmark the page that is displayed.

with "tradeoff-services" still displayed in task-manager … right-click and take screen-cap of the window ("general-tab" is default) … "paste" the image into windows-paint utility … save it in your "working" folder on desktop.

Image3.png

still under general-tab … "path to executable" … right-click and "select all" and choose "copy". "paste" this alphameric string into your text-document. save text-document into your "working" folder on desktop.

windows "start" button … locate/select "control-panel" … locate/select "programs/features" … scroll down until you can see "tradeoff" … left-click one time on "tradeoff" program … take screen-cap of the window … "paste" the image into windows-paint utility … save it in your "working" folder on desktop.

still in that window … check when the "install" date was … type this into your notepad/text-document … remember to save the revised text.

check windows-10 for system-restore points … how many exist? are there any restore-points prior to tradeoff install-date? you might consider restoring back to that time.

you have everything in front of you, gengarus:
research on the internet what the program does.
is it malicious?
how to uninstall it safely.
how to take back control of the computer.
last of all … search how to lock the computer down from your child's wandering fingertips.​
safe to say … we all were children at one time.

when your child downloaded that wallpaper on the desktop … a program could easily have piggy-backed within the data-packet … nobody would ever know.

when time comes for you to ask for assistance in getting rid of an infection … you have all your notes typed into notepad, as well as screen-caps … you can open your topic and portray everything you have done yourself.

additionally, gengarus … you may also consider using a program called "process-explorer". hupp! don't even think of downloading it from download.cnet.com or other web-sites … go straight to the development source:

p.s. remember … screen-cap resides in *.clp file (temporary swap-file) … meaning it's overwritten by next "copy" progression. so, if you took screen-cap of one window … it's sitting in that swap-file. if you highlight / copy some text … the image has been replaced by the text you just copied. so … at all times … if you "copy" … immediately "paste" … thanks.

p.p.s. be cautious when uploading/sharing images that may reveal personal info, gengarus. i.e. programs installed … os-license-#'s … usernames/passwords … ip-address … serial# … anything identifiable to a potential hacker. once the image has been uploaded … it becomes public property. so "black out" any such info as you deem necessary.

p.p.p.s. when comes time to ask for additional assistance … the dick tracy's of the world need certain information to aid in their prognosis:
win-os / version
computer model/maker
av / malware sentries​

taking screen-cap:

Last edited:
Back