Windows Vista Vista bashing or just saying how it is?

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
I was reading this forums news posts and followed up on one in particular, this can be found here:
Cutting Prices Won't Save Windows Vista

The article in question discuss's how MS has dropped prices in an effort to generate more sales of Vista with the author then proposing why Vista is already a doomed os.
I would be interested to see how forum users (and vista users) think on what the article has to say.
Personally I think that there are certain elements to the article which are true, such as driver support and the fact that having so many different varieties can lead to confusion.
As to Vista being a resource hog I don't agree. Vista uses memory differently and whilst it may look like vista is using say half a gig of ram it is fact 'holding' that half a gig in readiness to be used where-ever it may be needed.
The article also suggests that at 15GB, the disk space needed for the os, is excessive. In my opinion I'm surprised it isn't more... Many of todays games now run to 7GB if not more and thats just for a game. To have a os doing what Vista can do, I would say 15GB seemed about right.. It is true that in some areas the os could be trimmed a little but with todays average HDD being around 250GB I don't see why 15GB is considered large. Plus ihs thoughts about the GUI are just laughable
I'm sure with 'hindsight' there are many things that MS could have 'got right first time' but also many of us remember the fiasco that the XP release was and it took two major service packs to get that os running right.
I think many of this forums users will recognise the fact that it is 'in vogue' to bash Vista. I feel that the writer of the article seemed to have a particular axe to grind with MS and he would have bitched about any MS product not just Vista.
So here in the happy world of vista users we'll just carry on, using the product, enjoying the os and just be getting on with it!

Thoughts anyone?

I'm not the only one who has felt the need to write something after reading the offending article:
Friday Rant - More “Vista is doomed” nonesense | Hardware 2.0 | ZDNet.com

Yeah like you said he just wanted to bitch about MS. He is probably one of the many people that bought a new PC that had Vista on it or upgraded to Vista and over half of his software and his hardware from his previous system was old and incompatible with Vista. I know this because I talk to people like him every day. :rolleyes:

I think everyone using Windows OS's has their own opinion on what they think is best. I can understand XP users who feel safe & secure using a OS that they understand and can rely on to continue carrying out different functions. They are perhaps on a low budget and do not want to risk having to upgrade their hardware to accomodate Vista. Quite naturally these people use the adverse publicity and negative comments from others who have had difficulties in upgrading to vista to convince themselves that they are better with XP.
Similarly those amongst us who have went with Vista would not be likely to admit to having made a mistake in taken the plunge. So you have to look at the merits of both opinions and decide what is best for yourself.
Me, I went for the best of both worlds. I am lucky enough to be running Vista Ultimate on my desktop and XP on my laptop. Basically there are certain applications that run better on one OS than the other. I can agree with both camps on certain points but not with one camp on all points.
My preference, well I found the lure of a new OS too much to ignore and was willing to work through any hardware & software "glitches" that faced me. However I did find that I preferred certain applications to be running on XP mainly because I subscribe to the thought "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

There end'th my first novel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a few programs on my PC that are installed in xp only cause I know that they work in xp and don't want to clutter up Vista.
But when I have to boot in XP I notice how sluggish it is and how long it takes to do things. And B-4 anyone says anything my install of XP is not loaded down with a bunch of crap. I did a clean install about a month ago. I got where I don't even want to use XP anymore.:cool:

I must admit I used to love XP.. I'd got it running very quick and coupled with a custom GUI it looked great too. As both of the above posts point out though Vista brings something new to the table. Admittedly at first Vista was a bit of a pig and at times I really did hate it. Present day now sees boot times as quick, if not quicker than XP, the GUI looks awesome and DX10 adds another dimension to games. Software and drivers are now 'up to speed' with the os (or at least the utilitys I use are). I feel though that when a user first makes the plunge and changes to vista, they pretty much expect to be running XP but with an Aero interface. As they soon find out this is not the case and Vista does take some getting used to. It's this getting used to that seems to cause the problems, people don't like change... I found that once I'd changed my approach to vista and stopped using it as if it was XP the sun started to shine.. Now I wouldn't go back if you paid me, also if MS wasn't the big bad company that everyone thinks it is I'm sure Vista would be received far better.

It's this getting used to that seems to cause the problems, people don't like change... I found that once I'd changed my approach to vista and stopped using it as if it was XP the sun started to shine.. Now I wouldn't go back if you paid me, also if MS wasn't the big bad company that everyone thinks it is I'm sure Vista would be received far better.
What he said

Hi!!!! I'm slow as molasses and I can't figure out why. (My e-mail also takes 2 minutes to turn pages). It's so slow, the colors bleed if I try to scroll to fast. HP and Microsoft have been messing around with some more improvements. (It was running better before they tried to improve it). My HP Advisor is running constantly and I'm not sure if they meant it that way, or I should try to task schedule it or something. My Messenger has a working short-cut but has to open at boot anyway, so does HP Advisor. It's gotta stop. Any ideas? by the way, I ran across this criticism of Vista today and I sat back laughing. Because it's true........Link Removed due to 404 Error Just hit the tiny document to open up.

I've been using Windows Vista Ultimate for many months now having upgraded from XP. Whilst from a UI perspective it looks great, the bottom line is that if I knew where to post officially I would be asking Microsoft for a full refund on both copies of Vista Ultimate that I purchased.

My QC6600 (@ 3Ghz) with 2GB Ram and 8800GTX video card is notable sloth when compared to my previous XP setup.

Honestly Microsoft, what the heck went wrong?

Microsoft's biggest mistake was not introducing Vista, but putting the lowliest performance edition (Home) on computers which could only just cope with it.
It was a little more involved than the jump from say 95 to 98. More akin to the enormous leap from Dos to Windows. We all had to rush out and buy bigger computers overnight!
To run Vista (and future releases of any OS's) the first consideration should be hardware upgrading. Perhaps Microsoft should have pointed this out more forcefully, instead of boasting at how ell Vista would run on a low spec machine. But, with four years to come up with the goods, even Microsoft were not prepared for the lack of enthusiasm on the part of the drier manufacturers to start scribbling new software.
Fwiw. I have 34 programs running on my computer, all migrated from XP. They are all used frequently and I have had no problems with them.
I have two identical computers in my home. I was lucky to get onto the Beta testing program early. At first I dual booted on both machines. I ran exhaustive tests and could not detect any depreciation in performance on Vista.
I now only have Vista as my OS on my own computer, it is almost a year since I used XP. I still run XP on my second computer for the sake of my grandchildren, who have al their personal games sitting there. Soon I am going to move all that over also.
Also, fwiw. I believe that article has sine drifted a little out of date. If one can rely on the word of Microsoft, their sales are now going well and the forecast is that they will exceed the sales of XP, before the (further) innovation of Windows 7.

Yep.........Lot of truth in what you say davehc...........vista has been a problem on rigs close to or just above the minimum recommended system requirements. Like you I run vista on my work rig and xp on my laptop. It did take time to get vista working to my sarisfaction and I did spend some money on upgrading some parts however I feel it was worth it. Trouble with many vista "knockers" is that they do not or have not used all the functions available in the OS. For example see:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

also many did not bother to check the Widows Vista software compatibility before installing. See

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Yes, perhaps Microsoft could have done better in preparing users for the arrival of Vista but its here and being used and I for one aim to get the best use I can from it. There are very few if any problems with Vista that cannot be solved through forums such as this.

The original post is flaming and was removed and all posted by the same immature unregistered user will be removed.

Now listen here, everyone who uses this forum is entitled to his/her opinion. If you do not agree with what is being said, you can say so in a proper manner without resorting to using that form of comment. The vast majority of forum users are looking for help & advice with a particular problem and most appreciate the time & effort put in by certain forum members who have been able help them.

Back
Top Bottom