Windows Vista Vista error after trying to install SP1 and Cant Reboot HELP!!

AdamK

Well basically today i went to install the Service pack 1, it was all going fine until after the reboot it got stuck at a certain file for around 30-40 mins and i had coursework to do so i got impatient and turned off my computer and back on, and i got that dreaded blue screen that tells me that Windows couldnt start and obviously that has ruined my computer, i cant do anything..

Cant go into safe mode, it just restarts my computer, i have my Vista reboot cd but even then it trys to load the opertating system and restarts my computer, its not like vista where you could do it through commands, im stuck

anyone able to help?

im really deperate, posted on a number of forums but no response, any help on here? Link Removed due to 404 Error

Hi AdamK,
I've had a quick look on google to see if a solution presents itself but so far nothing seems to be any real benefit.
It's really kind of late here so I'll check again in the morning...
:)

Your Windows installation is corrupt and a 40 minute wait time for SP1 indicates the computer is really old or already has hardware problems. By restarting the computer during the install, this definitely damaged the operating system. I would suggest you try to do a clean install of Vista. If you need to get your files off this drive first, I suggest that you remove the HD and try using an external enclosure that will let you connect the drive via USB to another computer. Even then this is sketchy and could take quite awhile for you to get the information off.

I have the same problem, but did'nt get an error when installing SP1. When I try to start with original settings, I get a BSOD about MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (0x0000001A). After such a BSOD, i try to start and get a question if i just want to start or if i want to start something like 'Startup restore'. In this menu i can try startup restore, system restore, memory diagnostics, restore a backup or restore to factory defaults (dell). I've tried the startup restore and the system restore, but both get a BSOD or give an error.
When inserted a Vista dvd, i get a install menu and a button to go to system restore :(, wich appears to be useless at this point.

Is there anybody who can help me with this problem? This seemed like the best forum for this question.

I'm keeping in mind that i'll have to reinstall my system. i have an Ubuntu Live cd, so restoring my lost files won't be that big of a problem (i hope at least).

Can you remember when the BSOD started? Did you install a new driver or other software? I say this because thats the most likely cause of your blue-screens. If you know what you did then you might be able to boot into 'safe-mode' (press F8 whilst booting) and delete the offending data.
If this fails, post back..

The first BSOD came after the reboot of the failed SP1 installation. In the meantime, i have used Linux Ubuntu to recover all of my files. Also concidered installing Ubuntu, but really don't want to beceause off my Office 2007 licensies and Vista license.

Might i be reïnstalling my system, i'm thinking about Vista 64bit because of my RAM. Is Vista 64 good? Not that much of a failure like WinXP 64bit?

Thanks for the help and quick reply.

Well I can't speak from experience as I've only ever used 32bit but apparently 64bit is the way to go. Personally I'll be going 64bit when windows 7 appears. Don't just take my word for it though.... You could always google for reviews?

Hi Mystical87

I have just changed from 32bit to 64bit Vista with no problems at all.
I had been concerned that some of my hardware would not work with the 64bit enviroment but the change over was problem free.
The only thing I found needed some attention was my security software. After I had installed the 64bit OS I found that some products require you to install the 64bit versions so check if your vendor supports 64bit computing.
As Kemical has suggested, do a few googles on changing over to 64bit and copy the advice down. There is some good info. out there and makes the changeover a lot easier.

Back