Windows Vista Vista freezes

barrywi

Does anyone else have problems with Vista freezing? I cant move the cursor and ctl alt delete doesnt get me out of the problem, I have to switch off.

is vista on a computer or stuck in the kitchen sink?
you didn't give any details of how you or with what your using vista.
the mind readers are off work today

Hi, as the above poster mentions ,you don't give too many details. Anyhow, I too get lock ups from time to time but on the whole Vista runs ok. I keep all my drivers up to date, I use anti spyware (Adaware) and use and run AVG (anti-virus) often. I defrag using this free defragger here AusLogics - speed up computer and internet, unerase files, customize the appearance of Windows XP
I've also gone through the update list and found many that didn't get through the auto update utility, look here
Link Removed due to 404 Error
Using my update history for reference I find the ones missing (quite a few). Apart from the above information and without more info thats the best I can tell you for now, Oh the Tweakguides Vista section is a good read ( find it at Tweakguides.com). hope this is a help, if you have a more major problem we really need some info on your specs.

The PC isnt in a fridge! Its a quad core Intel machine, about 3 months old with a good graphics card (something GTS) 4 gb memory, two hard drives 250 gb and 750gb. The freezes have happened about 4 times at seemingly random points ..once playing a DVD, once on a video edit program, and two other times when on the internet. I cant work out a pattern, and a pc of this spec should cope with heavy loads like editing video. I have Bullguard AV and adaware both up to date. Not tried the manual vista updates but will try that.
Any further clues. Oh the PC doesnt recognise all of the 4GB memory (just three) which is apparently normal if you have a large memory graphics card.

If your running Vista 32bit then it won't recognise 4GB of RAM. You need to run the 64bit version to utilise that amount. Thats why I only use 3GB as I only have the 32bit version. I've never heard about graphic cards affecting memory amount altho' they can effect the swapfile size . As long as your not getting lock ups all the time I shouldn't worry. Like I said in my previous post I do get a lock up now and again and like you there is no pattern. One thing I have noticed is Vista is always a little twitchy after some sort of change. This could be new drivers or hardware and it always seems to take a while to settle back down.

You say your graphic card is a GTS or something, Its probably a geforce 8800 GTS either 640MB or 320MB.

An intermittent freeze is known in Vista for certain Intel chipsets if you do not download and install the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility at Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility - Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility support

Confirm you have an Intel chipset before downloading.

It could also be caused by any number of reasons. Since a device conflict is unlikely, you may want to check your CPU and GPU temperatures. An overheating problem can cause your CPU to lower its clock speed rapidly, causing a problem. A defective network card could also cause this problem.

Also check your disk drive for any bad sectors which may be causing your system to lag on reads or writes.

Yes graphics card is geforce 8800 gts 320mb....I was told that the 320mb is added to the total memory so it only shows 3gb but still uses it all. As the pc is so new I am not going to fiddle too much with it and will wait for the Vista SP1 whenever that may be available and see if that has any effect.

Er did you actually read the bit about 32bit? If your running Vista 32bit it will NOT use 4GB of RAM. You need the 64bit version to utilise 4GB or above. If you are already running 64bit and its not seeing the 4GB you definately have a problem. On the lock up subject, the only time i get them is when I run some software which Vista dislikes but this is slowly improving as everyone catches up and writes software specifically with Vista in mind.

Also if the 320MB was added to the total amount you would be seeing 4416MB (4 x 1024 + 320MB ) Plus the memory on your card is called VRAM, which is DDR3 and is different to the DDR2 running in your system.

Yes it is 32bit , so problem is solved...well memory problem but not necessarily the freeze problem. I will wait for the next freeze......whatever happened to global warming?:D

is vista on a computer or stuck in the kitchen sink?
you didn't give any details of how you or with what your using vista.
the mind readers are off work today

Your are a JERK. This FORUM is to help people with their problems and there always has to be a SMART @$$ around to say something STUPID. :mad::mad::mad:

Back