Windows Vista Vista Install Paused, safe to reboot?

daspion

I am installing Vista 32-bit home SP1 on my desktop as an upgrade to XP SP3. I got through all the steps and there were only 3 programs that I was told wouldn't work with Vista, but they wouldn't be a problem. Anyway, this all started at around 9pm last night (Thursday).

I went to bed at around 11pm and it was still doing its install thing. So I let it continue and just turned off the monitor. When I woke up this morning at 5:30am (Friday) it was still installing and was at 59% of the last step. An hour later when I left for work it was still at 59%. I just called home to check on it and it was still at 59% (this was around 9:30am).

There is no hard drive activity and there is no DVD activity. The progress indicator (three periods) are still going and I can click on the "x" to abort installation.

My question is, what do I do? Should I just turn it off and reboot and hope it will pick back up from where it is? Or should I try aborting and then reinstalling? It does give me a warning message that the system could become unstable when I click on the "x."

Any words of wisdom? Thanks!

Back