Windows Vista vista problems

bks81

Hello, I have been working on my own computers for 15 years, have built 6 over the years, and always fix mine and my parents computers whenever theres a problem. Occasionally I get stumped and need help, so thats why I am here. My desktop home office computer is doing several things over the last month or 2 thats not normal. I believe it to be a hardware problem, but have no idea how to figure it out. heres my system- Asus P5LD2 MB, Pentium D 2.8 ghz CPU, Asus EAH4350 video card, WD1002FAEX sata HD, Corsair cx600 PSU. This system is 6 years old, and works flawlessly 90% of the time. No gaming on it or big demanding programs, only use it as an office computer, emails, internet, and a DVR. Hard drive and PSU are less then a year old. I am on it now !!!

Heres the problems 1) Will freeze/hang for 30 seconds 20 % of the time when working on it, whether its reading emails, surfing the net, or microsoft office.

2) windows Media Center will not play play back recorded shows worth a hoot, it freezes, video/audio is scrambled and skips

3) I do not shut the computer off for weeks at a time as I use it as a dvr, but when I do shut it off and restart it right away, windows will not load, it says the registry is corrupt. I paniced over this the first couple times it happened, but learned that if I wait several hours or over night, then the computer will start just fine.

I have not added any new hardware or software in the last 9 months, not even windows update lately. The computer worked fine with the same hardware and software for more then 6 months since I added the new HD and PSU a little less then a year ago. I use windows security essentials and its up to date. My CPU useage stays low except when it should go up, Speedfan says cpu is 45-53 C most of the time.

Can someone give me an idea of where to start trying to figure it out.

Thanks,

Brian

Sounds to me like you system is infected with a Virus or at the very least spyware/malware of some kind. This can corrupt the registry. I would check for Virus's and spyware/malware and then defrag the hard drive.

Sounds to me like you system is infected with a Virus or at the very least spyware/malware of some kind. This can corrupt the registry. I would check for Virus's and spyware/malware and then defrag the hard drive.

Are you sure seeing how it starts fine after being off for several hours? Thats what has me stumped, like when its warm the problem is there, but when cold it is not.

It could be hardware related due to heat or loose hardware. Run through and check that all hardware and cabling is firmly seated. I would also run the spyware/malware software just to be sure...it couldn't hurt, only improve.

It could be hardware related due to heat or loose hardware. Run through and check that all hardware and cabling is firmly seated. I would also run the spyware/malware software just to be sure...it couldn't hurt, only improve.

OK which one is reccommended now adays? malware bytes? spybot? adaware?

I personally have Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, Spybot S&D v1.62, I don't like the new 2.0v. Run them all at the same time and as full scans. This will take up to a couple hours to complete depending on your system.

Back
Top Bottom