Windows Vista Vista Slow/Locks

gwmeek

Hello Everyone,

First time poster because this is the first issue that I have had with Vista that I couldn't google and figure out. I very rarely reboot my system and did for the first time in a couple of weeks Sunday to do a mild overclock. When I got into the BIOS I noticed that the multiplier was set at 8 instead of 9 so I set it back to 9 (where is should have been) and rebooted. Now when I log into Vista it takes forever for Symantec AntiVirus Corp (yes it's legal, I'm in the Air Force and get a copy for free under the home use license), ZoneAlarm, Start++, and my Lexmark printer utility to load and eventually the system freezes. When start in safe mode the system is very slow and freezes. The only change that I have made since my last reboot was an update to Start++. Last night I flashed my BIOS with the current version and that didn't help. When I left my house this morning I was in safe mode trying to bring up system restore and it was locked up. Any ideas?

**Edit**

Forgot to mention that I tried to reinstall Vista and when installer gets to this point Link Removed due to 404 Error it stops responding.

Vista Ultimate
BFG 680i SLI Motherboard
BFG 8800 GTS Video Card
Q6600 CPU
750 Watt Power Supply
2 GB RAM

Hi gwmeek

Can you say what the "mild overclock" involved.??
Everything you did during this change would be helpful.
Did you try to reinstall vista to try and repair present installation??

The mild overclock never happened. I just set the multiplier back to where it was supposed to be at 9. I never messed with the multiplier before so I'm not sure how it got set to 8. After updating the BIOS and resetting to defaults it kept the multiplier at 9 where it should be but the computer still loads Vista extremely slow and eventually locks. I tried to reinstall Vista but it freezes on the screen linked in my first post.

The mild overclock never happened. I just set the multiplier back to where it was supposed to be at 9. I never messed with the multiplier before so I'm not sure how it got set to 8. After updating the BIOS and resetting to defaults it kept the multiplier at 9 where it should be but the computer still loads Vista extremely slow and eventually locks. I tried to reinstall Vista but it freezes on the screen linked in my first post.

Try setting the multiplier back to 8 for chits and giggles and see if it stops freezing up.

Try setting the multiplier back to 8 for chits and giggles and see if it stops freezing up.

I tried that and unfortunatly it didn't help. I spoke with BFG today and they think the motherboard might be bad so I'll be sending it back to them tonight. I have never done an RMA, I hope the process is fast.

Hi gwmeek, just check your RAM is seated properly or swop the sticks around..

Kemical,

I'll try re-seating everything tonight and see if that works. If not I'll be heading to the UPS store to ship off the mobo.

I tried that and unfortunatly it didn't help. I spoke with BFG today and they think the motherboard might be bad so I'll be sending it back to them tonight. I have never done an RMA, I hope the process is fast.
RMA always seem to take twice as long as they say it does. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom