Windows Vista Vista SP2

Edsaid

Has anyone taken the leap and installed the newly released Vista SP2? I know there have been a few problems with the beta version so I am sitting on it hoping for some feedback before taking the plunge.

:rolleyes:

Hi! "lorenkir" is thinking about it. He can't get over the size, it's huge!! He'd be a good one to post a private message to.

Thanks Celestra,
anyway it's kinda still a little fluky. Over 500 meg's to downlad and I guess I am still curious as to why the size and what is everything it does besides what Microsoft has told us already. If it is still running perfectly after a few days it might well be ok. But, it seems to start to get a little fluky after running for a while. If ou are looking for a recomendation, I would say only if you really need it. Otherwise I would not rush into to it. It supports some new equipment, of which I don't have and I do not see many others who say they are using it. And like I said I don't see whts in it for the extreme size it is. Hope this helps as I have not seen many dtails either.

Sounds a little bit like the new "Java 14 Update" it centers around "Windows 7", which I don't have or need- right now. Seems like I just get my computer to the way I want it and some new update pops up to tear it to sheds.... After a while it gets annoying!

Thanks everybody for the input. I have to agree with all that has been said. Like so many people, my pc is fine with no problems pretty well since I've had it - even after installing SP1 ages ago - and an upgrade this big is a bit off-putting. I'm told it will take over an hour! I guess I'll hang on for a couple of months or so and watch the forums.

I wish it was a much more cut and dried type of thing but, it does not appear to be. I think waiting is a good idea unless your willing to put up with the problems it will likely create.

What I am realy curious about is why the silent attitude from Microsoft, such as the really big announcement that it's now available; pun the folks!!! Is this what to expect withall their future products that don't exactly pan out right? Hope not.

Good point lorenkjr... Does make you a bit suspicious when there's no fanfare and so little info.... There was so much said with SP1, not to mention Windows XP SP2/2, telling us all how much better things would be.

Im using SP2 for vista.

No difference for me. I have all the same bugs i had before. The pc starts up a tiny bit slower than before. So this is really a waste of time. I wanted it to fix bugs but did nothing. Waste of time downloading!

Im using SP2 for vista.

No difference for me. I have all the same bugs i had before. The pc starts up a tiny bit slower than before. So this is really a waste of time. I wanted it to fix bugs but did nothing. Waste of time downloading!

Would you care to list the bugs you are having a problem with ?

I installed Vista SP2 and had no end of trouble with IE having to close and BSOD with memory managment and PFN_LIST issues just like when i first ever installed Vista last year and a few MS updates later the problem dissapeared as if by magic that was until i installed Vista SP2. I also had things like Spider Solitaire closing suddeny whereas it never did that before.

IN OTHER WORDS if your system is nice and stable the don't install SP2.

It still does not seem right even after the uninstall so perhaps there may be some registry issues.

Has anyone else had the same problems as me??

Re: Vista SP2 -- BUGS!

I installed SP2 a week ago and I'm experiencing problems that didn't exist before.

1) My wireless network no longer starts automatically when I boot up, and it often disconnects. The only consolation is that my network no longer drops the connection when I restore the PC from sleep mode.

2) Programs take far longer to launch. For example, AOL used to start up immediately. Now, I have to wait more than 10 seconds before the login screen appears.

3) When I insert a DVD into one of my drives, Media Center starts up properly but it's usually unresponsive and I have to close and reopen the program. To prevent this from happening, I start Media Center BEFORE inserting a DVD.

4) SP2 did nothing to correct the problems I've been having with Internet Explorer 8. I had hoped that the Vista upgrade would make IE8 more compatible with the OS, but I'm still getting all sorts of navigation errors that I didn't experience with IE7. When I visit a new Web site, IE8 often generates an error message, stops and then recovers. But this happens so often that I have to switch to Firefox, which has no problem displaying the Web pages that IE8 refuses to display.

Yeah I notice (Googled) SP2 before installing it, and there seems to be a hell of a lot of end users with issues:( On my clean install of vista last night, sp2 install went with issue:D

Yeah I notice (Googled) SP2 before installing it, and there seems to be a hell of a lot of end users with issues:( On my clean install of vista last night, sp2 install went with issue:D
Hi, vi... Your post reads like you stayed up late after a good night out! :D When you clean installed, what was/were the issue/s?

Ed

Hi, vi... Your post reads like you stayed up late after a good night out! :D When you clean installed, what was/were the issue/s?

Ed

Sorry mate, my English can be crap at times, was not my strong point at school. Basically before I did a clean install of Vista, I couldn't install SP2, so I spent lots of time on Google

As for the new install of vista I did, I made sure I installed SP1 for vista, then installed sp2, because sp1 is a requirement.

It was meant to read "without issue":redface:

Well, having bit the bullet, I found no problems at all installing SP2. As I have
always done in the past, overkill with the preparation is probably worth the
trouble.
Not being able to disable it, I uninstalled McAfee Security rather than risk any
conflicts, and when Windows Defender popped up with its warning, I disabled
that. I then shut down every programme likely to launch in the backgound,
such as Stickies and configured alerts from the likes of Microsoft Outlook.
All that done, I downloaded SP2 to my desktop from the Microsoft website -
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a4dd31d5-f907-44406-9012-a5c3199ea2b3&displaylang=en - better than using "Update". I then
came off-line.
Next, I ran RegMechanic and repaired any faults it found. Finally I checked
Task Manager 'Processes' to make sure nothing was around to interfere.
Installation took a little over 30 minutes - counting download time - about 45
minutes altogether.
Now two hours in and no issues to report. Let's hope it stays that way.

Ed :p

Well,
having tried it more than a few times I came to the conclusion since I don't have any real need for it; I don't even think about it any more. Usually even days after the install has been made, the problems begin to surface. And naturally they disappear when Service Pack 2 is uninstalled. It's not exactly a leap you might be taking when installing but, rather an adventure in futility. It's one of the few updates Microsoft has introduced whereby they don't even know what it will and will not do. Service Pack 1 for Vista clearly had some reasoning to it. Though exactly what reasoning Service pack 2 had is still not real clear. Oh and there lies another reason for not installing it. Like my keyboard and mouse combination are from HP, and the HP drivers have never been updated to work with Service Pack 2. Maybe there will never be another update for Vista, and that my well be the best thing ever.

Back
Top Bottom