Windows 7 Vista To 7 Upgrade

sd3

Hi all,

At the moment I am running Vista Home Premium x86. If I get the Windows 7 Professional x64 version, will this allow me to upgrade by doing a clean install?

Thanks

Hi Drew,

Thanks.

My CPU supports x64.

So will I be able to use the actual Windows 7 Professional Upgrade DVD x64 over the top of Vista Home Premium x86?

Thanks

I would do a clean install. Do a little searching and you'll find many posts of people having problems after upgrading.
Joe

Excellent thanks.

I did see a matrix a while back that looked as if you could do a clean install from Vista Home Premium x86 > Win 7 Professional x64, so I assume it'll be fine.

It's just that I ordered an upgrade CD through a student deal you see.

Thanks again

Absolutely agree "Clean Install" is THE ONLY way to go

Someone needs to confirm this works for XP > Win7 but, I believe so... as long as the machine will support 7.

And since a Clean (Fresh) Install, and since the machine supports x64 and Windows 7, it is doable to switch the machine) from XP 32 to Win7 64.

Drew

I would assume that it would be fine, but knowing Microsoft there's always going to a niggle!

Hopefully it all goes to plan.

Though, I did notice that you can contact them if you've ordered the wrong version.

Cool.

I don't mind losing everythign on my hard disk as I will back it all up.

I just want to be able to use the Windows 7 Professional Upgrade disc to install Windows 7 over the top of Vista Home Premium.

Absolutely agree "Clean Install" is THE ONLY way to go

Someone needs to confirm this works for XP > Win7 but, I believe so... as long as the machine will support 7.

And since a Clean (Fresh) Install, and since the machine supports x64 and Windows 7, it is doable to switch the machine) from XP 32 to Win7 64.

Drew

I'm 99 % sure you'll be able to. I know I read it somewhere. I certainly hope so since that's what I plan on doing (I just ordered 2 gb more of ram). I guess I'll be able to tell you as soon as the pre order ships.

Back