Vista update KB940510 detects "bad" OS

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Help and Support' started by kemical, Mar 12, 2008.

1. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

2. superbill

superbill New Member

3. kemical

Hi Superbill,

thanx for the link. I guess it's lucky I found out about this as I'll be getting a new m/b soon. As I my version of Vista is OEM (a lot cheaper at 60 quid a pop) my licence won't cover the new mobo and I may have considered some sort of 'get around'. I know you can usually just phone the guys at MS and obtain a new key but at least now I know that this is the safest route. Mind you depending how rich I'm feeling I might even blow the cash and buy a full licence version :confused:

4. 03hdfatboy

03hdfatboy Banned

Hey man as long as you install SP1 b-4 you try to activate (they give you about 3 shots like XP w/SP1) you should be OK but if not all you gotta do is call MS it only takes a few min. Trust me I've done it about 6 or 7 times.:D I've also changed MoBo's 3 times sense I first activated Vista

5. kemical

Really? 6-7 times you say.. Hmm thats ok then, I thought it was going to be a real pain in the arse. I did think that if I had to buy a new copy of Vista I'd use this copy for a media centre I'm gonna build using certain bits of hardware from this pc but maybe I'll rethink my plans.. Thanks for the heads up :D

6. 03hdfatboy

03hdfatboy Banned

No Problem :D