Windows 7 W7 and Online Banking - a BIG Caveat

jimbo45

Hi guys
just a warning for the really adventurous --. If you are going to try to connect to your Online Banking account (ensure your firewalls and AV software are working properly) I'd advise your Bank FIRST by Email or Phone that you want to connect via Windows 7.

Some new security systems check not only for the Browser you are using but also the OS - if you are using a combination not on the Bank's "Permitted List" you might be denied access to your account.

Whilst I LIKE W7 I'm not quite sure if I'm ready to trust it with an Online Bank account --however for those that do NEVER EVER connect to a bank account without firewalls and AV software running. I Re-iterate this because often while testing people disable AV software and firewalls.

Cheers
Jimbo

Works fine for me, with Firefox and W7Beta.
But then again, I'm connecting to one of the most technologically advanced banks in Canada.

Hi Kyle -- Mine doesn't like OPERA (It's OK now it has heard about it), and it still hasn't a CLUE about using the built in Konqueror Browser in OPEN SUSE 11.1 (KDE GUI) . OK this is a W7 Forum but I still use Linux as well.

No wonder these Banks need TRILLIONS of DOLLARS / GBP / EUR etc etc. of OUR Taxpayers money - looks like their I.T departments are as bad as their highly overpaid investment managers with the Toxic Debts they got involved in and screwed us all up for this year.
Cheers
jimbo

Well, I would assume that banks (and slightly aware anti-techies of the like) assume Linux is for hardcore hackers who are rebelling against the man. They're obviously misguided, but in their own little worlds, they see linux as only a server OS, and as being used by only the dark side of the technology force.

Hi guys
just a warning for the really adventurous --. If you are going to try to connect to your Online Banking account (ensure your firewalls and AV software are working properly) I'd advise your Bank FIRST by Email or Phone that you want to connect via Windows 7.

Some new security systems check not only for the Browser you are using but also the OS - if you are using a combination not on the Bank's "Permitted List" you might be denied access to your account.

Whilst I LIKE W7 I'm not quite sure if I'm ready to trust it with an Online Bank account --however for those that do NEVER EVER connect to a bank account without firewalls and AV software running. I Re-iterate this because often while testing people disable AV software and firewalls.

Cheers
Jimbo
Works fine for me as well.

Back