Windows 7 W7 hyberfil.sys and choosing fonts

6imac6

W7 hiberfil.sys and choosing fonts

Well, I had my W7 x64 setup as I like it, all worked fine, that is with not a problem.
As we know some x32 programs will and do work in W7 x64, so with that i mind I installed
Spybot. It seemed to go well so I resumed my computing.
I restarted the computer and I got the BSOD of all BSODs. could not fix it, nothing worked, I got the BSOD before I got the safe mode option. The BSOD did not give any references to what the problem may have been.
I decided to re-install and I did just that. It installed OK and I carried out my customising of it, I've run into a little problem that is not the fault of W7. The problem is basically my memory, you see I'm retired.
There are 2 items I wish to customise but I just cannot remember how to.
First is how do I remove Hiberfil.sys in C:\
and
Second, how do I get to the fonts that allows me to set the size of fonts and select particular fonts for
particular items.
I'm not referring to the "Fonts" in Control Panel that I have looked at but does not do what I want.

Many thanks in advance.
EDIT.
I found Hibernation option in Power Settings that I set to never, then I restarted but hiberfil.sys wont remove.
I used regedit to get into the registry, it found 3 keys to hiberfil.sys but only 2 would delete,
again it would not remove.

Last edited:
I got the fix, enter into Command Prompt

powercfg -h off

This will disable hibernation.
Reboot, and you will be able to delete the hibernation file if it's still present.

I have to ask why is it so important to get rid of hyberfil.sys as long as hibernation is disabled? It should be buried deep enough and hidden at least as a system file and should therefore not be an issue when browsing for files.I'm not sure you will be able to delete it even with hibernation completely disabled their is an application from sysinternals (i think) called windirstat that allow you to take ownership of system files and directories to remove them but i have not tried it in seven or vista yet so i can't tell you it will work at all or safely for that matter, test at your own peril.

If you use the command that the OP eventually found, you can delete it. No real reason, as you say, except that it is a waste of space.

is there a similar command to permanently disable System volume information and recycler from my external drive? These folders are quite annoying and i've never been able to permanently remove them under XP and haven't honestly turned off hidden folders long enough yet to check in seven. The funny thing is that system restore and recycling are always off on that drive as it is only used for bulk media storage..These two files are very difficult to remove and are the basis for my previous post about how difficult it can actually be to remove such files and directories.

I have to ask why is it so important to get rid of hyberfil.sys as long as hibernation is disabled? It should be buried deep enough and hidden at least as a system file and should therefore not be an issue when browsing for files.I'm not sure you will be able to delete it even with hibernation completely disabled their is an application from sysinternals (i think) called windirstat that allow you to take ownership of system files and directories to remove them but i have not tried it in seven or vista yet so i can't tell you it will work at all or safely for that matter, test at your own peril.

Its a very large file, if I remember it correctly , its about 4gb. Its mainly intended for use in Laptops.
Yes, when the method I posted is used the hiperbil.sys is automatically removed on a restart.

I don't know of any, sorry.
here is a quote from Microsoft on the first:
"The Client service monitors activity on NTFS volumes and stores
maintenance information in a file called Tracking.log, which is located
in a hidden folder called System Volume Information at the root of each
volume. This folder is protected by permissions that allow only the
system to have access to it. The folder is also used by other Windows
services, such as Indexing Service."

So I guess it would be a can of worms to mess with it. If you really do not want to look at either, then you can hide them through the Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/View and hide the "protected operating system"

I do not have an external drive, but have you tried right clicking the Recycle Bin Icon on the desktop and selecting properties? You have the option there "Don't move files...etc

Spot on davehc I believe i've gotten rid of recycler by this method and have hidden Sys vol.... i just know its there and it gnaws at the back of my brain but i have since learned to live with it. I appreciate the info that this is where certain indexing info is stored since i didn't know that and it helps to explain why we still need this folder even on a drive we dont want system restore to monitor the gnawing sound from the back of my skull isn't so bad now that i have a reason to latch on to, thanks bud, my education continues..

Well, you can take ownership of the folders, and delete them, but they will return, and in their original state
there is no ill effect from doing so.
The recycler will return as soon as you delete something. I have not found/heard of a way to permanently remove the folders you mention.

And yes, the way to hide them is to Hide Protected system files and folders.

Recycler i've gotten rid of ( i may have failed to mention that) If you go to the properties of the recycle bin you can elect to set each drive (or partition) individually if you then select do not recycle or something similarly self explanatory it will then stay gone for the drive in question.

I guess I have never really looked at the recycler that closely before.
I'll have to check this out. I am so used to holding the shift key when I delete though and having the recycler when I don't is convenient incase I accidentally delete something.

I found the Fonts settings app, its incredible where it is placed and yes, its the same one as in Vists & XP.
There are 2 changes to the registry so you are on your own as they say.
I had it done in about 6 minutes last evening.

Fonts - Change - Windows 7 Forums

Back
Top Bottom