Windows 7 W7 "Unidentified Network" problem

AncientToaster

My computer has fallen victim to the unidentified network problem.

My computer is a homebuilt desktop running Windows 7 64-Bit Home Premium. The problem has cropped up several times before, however I've always been able to fix it by "just" re-installing Windows (the upgrade option, not the full installation). This time that fix has failed.

A few possibly salient points:
1) My copy of Windows registers as not genuine, since I am unable to connect to authenticate.
2) I was previously running no anti-virus software, and tho I am now, it does not have virus definitions to play with.
3) My network adaptor is onboard, and its model number is a Realtek RTL8168B/8111B. It's ethernet only.
4) I can't offer you information on the network map, since Windows insists on labeling this network as an "Unidentified network", calling it public, and not letting me change it.

I've already tried a number of suggested solutions, so just to eliminate some possibilities:

1) I don't think it's my router. I've tried it on my school's network and my home network, and at home I've used both direct connection to the router and routing the ethernet through my Macbook's "share internet" feature. Nada.
2) I've tried disabling and re-enabling the network adaptor. Zilch.
3) I've tried the fix suggested on MSFT's website which involves modifying the registry to change the "broadcast" behavior of Vista/7. No way.
4) I've tried changing the "Network Address" under Local Area Connections>Connection Status>Properties>Advanced>Network Address, as suggested several times. No change.
5) I've tried un-installing the driver, then rebooting to let Windows install the default driver. No beans.
6) I've tried "ipconfig /release" & "ipconfig /renew". Nothing.
7) I've tried re-installing Windows 7 (upgrade, not a full clean install). NOPE.

I'm at my wit's end. Any idea on what I can do, short of buying a new network card, re-installing Windows and all my programs, or dropping my PC off a cliff and trying to start a new life as a Mac gamer (HA!)?

ipconfig /all

Can you run from the command-line: ipconfig /all

Copy and paste this text into a reply or an attachment and we can see what is going on here. One problem may be the "Bonjour" service installed by Apple, which causes a problem with network identification and can sometimes screw up your default gateway. We will need to know more about your network configuration to proceed.

However, try disabling the Bonjour service by going to Start -> Search -> msconfig

Services -> Uncheck Bonjour service

Please also see this thread and tell us your result: Solved Possible solution for unidentified network access

The Bonjour service is not present in my services list. I also attempted the fix in the thread you linked, to no result. I've attached my ipconfig /all results in the accompanying png. Let me know if there's any other information needed.

Attachments

• ipconfig results.PNG
    ipconfig results.PNG
    29.6 KB · Views: 844
My computer has fallen victim to the unidentified network problem.

My computer is a homebuilt desktop running Windows 7 64-Bit Home Premium. The problem has cropped up several times before, however I've always been able to fix it by "just" re-installing Windows (the upgrade option, not the full installation). This time that fix has failed.

A few possibly salient points:
1) My copy of Windows registers as not genuine, since I am unable to connect to authenticate.
2) I was previously running no anti-virus software, and tho I am now, it does not have virus definitions to play with.
3) My network adaptor is onboard, and its model number is a Realtek RTL8168B/8111B. It's ethernet only.
4) I can't offer you information on the network map, since Windows insists on labeling this network as an "Unidentified network", calling it public, and not letting me change it.

I've already tried a number of suggested solutions, so just to eliminate some possibilities:

1) I don't think it's my router. I've tried it on my school's network and my home network, and at home I've used both direct connection to the router and routing the ethernet through my Macbook's "share internet" feature. Nada.
2) I've tried disabling and re-enabling the network adaptor. Zilch.
3) I've tried the fix suggested on MSFT's website which involves modifying the registry to change the "broadcast" behavior of Vista/7. No way.
4) I've tried changing the "Network Address" under Local Area Connections>Connection Status>Properties>Advanced>Network Address, as suggested several times. No change.
5) I've tried un-installing the driver, then rebooting to let Windows install the default driver. No beans.
6) I've tried "ipconfig /release" & "ipconfig /renew". Nothing.
7) I've tried re-installing Windows 7 (upgrade, not a full clean install). NOPE.

I'm at my wit's end. Any idea on what I can do, short of buying a new network card, re-installing Windows and all my programs, or dropping my PC off a cliff and trying to start a new life as a Mac gamer (HA!)?

I'm having the same problem, and have tried all of the same "fixes" that the OP has. All of them have not changed to the fact that I cannot gain internet access on my laptop.

Back