Windows 8 W8 Crash

boblink

Hi, I was away from my computer and when I returned, I found a BIG message on my computer advising that W8 crashed and if I wanted to send a report to MS (which I did).
I didn't think anything of this until I accessed my computer and noticed that EVERYTHING that I was working on was gone. My Bookmarks/Favorite Places were gone, folders/files that I saved on my Desktop were gone,....... not what I wanted to see.
I have an External drive that use for these instances but somehow the folders for Bookmarks/Favorite Places were there but the files in the folders were gone so I am in the process of trying to reconstruct everything which is NO FUN and wonder if anyone could please venture to guess what might have happened and how to avoid this from happening again.
Thank you for your help,
Bob

Was this originally an Upgrade Installation or a Custom Installation? There have been many more reported strange happening with the Upgrade. This type of installation depends too much on the original OS.

You say you have an Ext HD you use for this. I am not really sure what you mean. Did you move your data folders to the Ext HD? I know I created a separate partition on my HD for my data.

Thanks Meds, it was a clean install, it was an install OVER W7 and some of the files that I see are labeled W7.
I have a 1T HDD therefore space is not a problem and as you have done, I partitioned the HDD and also backup files to one of the partitions but I also have an External Drive in the event that 1T HDD becomes unstable or worse yet, quits working.
Bob

It was an upgrade over a W7 install and you're right, I noticed MANY "strange happenings" including some Windows files labeled/names W7. As for the External Hard Drive, I partitioned the 1T HDD as you did and also backed-up files to one of the partitions but as an extra precaution, I also backup everything to the External Drive in the event that the 1T HDD becomes unstable or quits.
Bob,

Your best bet might be to use the link near the top of your email receipt from MS to start the process over, but instead of doing the Upgrade, when you have the choice choose Install by creating media, then choose Custom install.

This allows you to burn the ISO file to a DVD or Flash drive and use this to boot to. Choose Save Nothing and Custom, or whatever.

Install the OS and all your apps again. Then change your pointers in the OS to the data partition (drive) using the approved method.

The installation should not affect your data partition (drive) what so ever. This is the exact method I used and our 2 laptops (conventional non-touch 4 to 5 years old) work perfectly.

I realize this involves more work, but how much time have you lost so far. It took me 5 hours total to install my OS, customize my OS, install all my apps including Office 2010, update everything, and create 3 separate Images, one after the OS was installed and customized, the second after apps installed, the third after Office was installed and everything was completed. 5 hours total!

I save all my Images to my Ext. HD and use it for File History. I create new Images at least once per month after patch Tuesday.

I suppose you could try a System Refresh, but this will also uninstall all the apps you installed and is a fairly slow process, and has had a few mixed results. That's why I advocate the Custom Install every time. The Upgrade depends too much on the original OS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you check the drive for hidden files? Sometimes the files become hidden. What did you backup with? The Smartware that comes on some WD externals is crap. Booting from a Linux Live CD will sometimes find missing files also.
Joe

Hi Meds, thanks for ALL your help.
Unfortunately the system crashed again so I think your clean install suggestion is my best bet and I’ll probably do it mid week (when my wife is out of town). If you don’t mind, I have a few questions:
Meds: Your best bet might be to use the link near the top of your email receipt from MS to start the process over
Bob: I purchased the W8 Pro CD ($40) so I don’t have an email receipt and assume that in my scenario, I just open the CD and select install instead of upgrade?
Meds: This allows you to burn the ISO file to a DVD or Flash drive and use this to boot to. Choose Save Nothing and Custom, or whatever.
Bob: I'm not quite sure what you trying to convey here Meds? An ISO file I believe is an image file so I assume that you are talking about creating an image of the NEW (clean) W8 install?
Meds: Install the OS and all your apps again. Then change your pointers in the OS to the data partition (drive) using the approved method
Bob: I have a 6 month old HP SandyBridge system that came with W7 and I made copy of the “Restore Image” on a Flash Drive/Memory Stick but I’m a little confused how I can install the system drivers (monitor, audio, KB, mouse, HDD,…..) without installing W7, which I don’t want to do.
The installation should not affect your data
Yes, I’ve done this in the past and understand that W8 will install on the “C” Drive, which is really a partition and that my Data Files, Pictures,…… are on separate partitions and will not be effected (over written) when I install W8 in the “C” Drive (but everything on the “C” Drive including W7, will be erased)
Meds: It took me 5 hours total to install my OS, customize my OS, install all my apps including Office 2010, update everything, and create 3 separate Images
Bob: Good suggestion Meds. I am still trying to familiarize myself with W8, how do
You create an image of W8 (only) after it’s installed? Did you create a Restore Point, and then another Restore Point after you installed your data apps and a another after you installed MSOffice or is did you do something else?

My last quest concerns Speccy, did you “Cut and Paste” each segment i.e. OS, CPU, RAM,…..
Of is their a way to get a report that shows ALL the segments? Also, it never hurts to have information, what do you use the Speccy summary for?

Thank you for you help Meds,
Bob

Hi Joe, thank you for your help.
I am still trying to familiarize myself with W8, how do I check for hidden files and what type of files should I be looking for?
As far as what I used to back things up, I copied and pasted my Data files, Photos,... and used System Restore to create several Restore Points of W7. and created a Restore Point of W8 yesterday
I have only used DOS and Windows and have not used Linux so I don't have a Linux Live CD (or Memory Stick).
Thanks,
Bob

Hi guys, my system crashed again yesterday (lost everything again) and I just got it back to being usable.
Any comments to my last POSTS?
Thanks,
Bob

Thanks Trouble, I downloaded the app but I was unable to run as administrator.
Is it becuase the W7F Diagnositic Tool is a W7 tool?
Thanks,
Bob

Hmm.. what about compatibility mode? Also to run as admin you need to right click the app and then choose run as admin.

When I right click on the icon, I only get Restore, Move, Edit,..... no matter where (and I tried everywhere not only on the icon) that I click

Hi,

ok, let's try something different. Open up the main Windows folder on your C drive or partition. Look for a folder marked 'Minidump'. Once found, zip the contents and post them. We will then be able to read your dmp files and give you some idea as to the issue.

If you don't find the above folder then you'll have to configure your system to produce dmp files. The screenshot below has been arrowed as to which tabs you need to click and so on, just make sure yours looks exactly like mine.. Once set up, wait for the next crash, then check the minidump folder and post the results.

dmp.jpg

Thanks Kemical, I downloaded the tool , clicked on "Grab All" but nothing happened so I right clicked ALL over the W7F Diagnostic Tool but still nothing happened (and I ran it as Administrator).
Is it because the W7F Diagnostic Tool is a W7 tool and W8 is installed?
Thanks,
Bob

Hello again Kemical, I found several "mindump" files (see attachment for ScrShot), I don't know which 1 you want me to open and how to open it.
Thanks,
Bob

Attachments

• minidump.jpg
    minidump.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 704
Yes that's them.. Now you could either post them in the forum like you did with the screenshot or zip them up in a folder and post that. That way we can download them and then investigate the dmp files by means of a diagnostic tool. I'll pop back after lunch and see if you've posted.

Hi, I am not familiar with W8 and don't know how to Zip or UnZip these files so I am attaching a ScrShot of the minidump files. Hope it helps,
Bob

Attachments

• minidump.jpg
    minidump.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 444
Hi,

if you open the Minidump folder and then choosing a spot inside the folder which is free space make a right click, from the revealed menu choose New and then folder.

folder.jpg

You can name the folder anything you like as it's there simply for you to place all the dmp files into. Once all the files are inside the folder, right click on the folder (you may have to do this twice as two slightly different menu's can appear) and look for 'Send to'.
If you highlight 'send to', another menu will appear and from this you need to click compressed/zip folder. The zipped folder will appear next to the one your right clicking, just name or rename it and attach it to your next post.

zip.jpg

As you can tell, I'm easily confused Kemical, I see that I POSTed the ScreenShot twice and didn't notice you POST where you said "Now you could either post them in the forum like you did with the screenshot or zip them up in a folder and post that".
I thought that this IS the Forum (i.e. Forum->Windows 8 Help and Support->Windows 8 Support->W8 Crash).
WHERE do you want me to POST the minidump?
Also, if you want to ZIP the files, can you provide me with a link to a ZIP program (so that I do that).
Thanks,
Bob

Back
Top Bottom