Want to upgrade my laptop dell inspiron 1564

rizandaas

Specifications
QuantityParts #Part Description2N753F2GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM (1 x 2GB)
Does the quantity mean that it has 2 slots?

So from the above how would i know how many ram slots does my laptop have as i want to upgrade windows 32 bit to 64 bit and 4GB RAM is recommended my laptop has only 2 GB.

Another thing the person i bought it from said once a laptop is purchased u cant upgrade? is that true

I was also thinking of upgrade graphic card as current one is 512 mb and is 3 or 4 series which i have found is quite old.

Last edited:

patcooke

Microsoft MVP
Staff member
Microsoft MVP
The laptop has 2 ram card slots each of which can take a 2gb card so you can upgrade memory to 4GB. It looks like you have a single 2GB card so you would just need to buy a second but check that you don't have 2 x 1GB cards in which case you would need to replace both to go to 4GB. I'd just upgrade the op sys first and see if you need any more RAM - I think you're unlikely to need 4GB. The graphics is more of a problem. RAM, hard drives, dvd drives are easily upgradeable, most other components are not.

rizandaas

Thanks for your reply patcooke. One thing that was bad news for me from your reply was that u said graphic card upgrade or change is a problem well i had that in my mind as well after RAM upgrade. Any suggestions

patcooke

Microsoft MVP
Staff member
Microsoft MVP
Graphics card is amongst the components which are more difficult/near impossible to upgrade on a laptop depending on the exact make and model. I advise extreme caution - it's all too easy to go digging inside a laptop and find you can't get everything back together and working.

rizandaas

I guess i still have a few months of the warranty left and i will ask the guy i purchased from to help me out even though he said an upgrade of a laptop is not possible.

patcooke

Microsoft MVP
Staff member
Microsoft MVP
The warranty wouldn't entitle you to any special consideration for upgrading of course - that sort of thing would not come under warranty provisions. Also, for the reasons I have described (and which I'm sure your seller will describe as well) I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope. But I wouldn't let it worry you too much - I don't think you would have any great need for improved graphics unless you were looking to run programs with fast moving complex graphics - and then I don't think the power of your cpu would be up to it! Unless you have some seriously defined need for upgrades I think I'd leave both your RAM and graphics as they are, leave the money in the bank to go towards the day when you have enough to buy a fully higher spec machine.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.