Windows 7 WEI causes shutdown ideas?

kreeplx

Hi,

When I run WEI, the computer shuts down at the end of the CPU assessment. I worked on this for most of the night last night and have not had any previous problems with this issue.

What was I trying to do? Install a Kingston 128GB SSD with a fresh install of Windows 7 x86.

System Specs:
BIOSTAR TA790GXE 128M
OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition AM2+
Three 1TB HDD
DIAMOND ATI TV Wonder HD 650 Combo Tuner
HIS ATI Radeon 6870
Via SATA card (not being used)
750W PSU
USB devices: Wireless keyboard/mouse/WMC remote
Connected through HDMI to 61" Samsung DLP

So I put in the SSD and install a fresh copy of Win7 and everything seemed fine until I ran the WEI. The computer would instantly shutdown and return to the BIOS screen and stick until a manual power cycle.

I did the following all with the same result:
1. Upgraded the BIOS to the latest and greatest
2. Installed older catalyst drivers
3. Replaced stock thermal paste on CPU to Arctic (5c reduction to 45C)
4. Removed 2 HDD to make sure it was not a power problem
5. With the SSD still in place, I put the old HDD back and when I ran the assessment. I started to get artifacts on the screen which pointed me to maybe a video card power/driver problem. Initial assessment said it was a driver problem and I think the HDD test is after the CPU assessment.

When I get home from work, I will remove the SDD to see if it still crashes but I would appreciate any ideas or tips to remedy this. The PSU is new and I had to get it to upgrade to the 6870 from the 5750.

Hello and Welcome to W7F !

Possible reasons:

1, Heat issue - Install Speedfan and check all the Temps
2, RAM - Try with single RAM i.e. just 2 GB and Test it
3, Make sure all the connect is correct for the processor there is no PIN that's bend etc.

Hello and Welcome to W7F !

Possible reasons:

1, Heat issue - Install Speedfan and check all the Temps
2, RAM - Try with single RAM i.e. just 2 GB and Test it
3, Make sure all the connect is correct for the processor there is no PIN that's bend etc.

Thanks for welcoming me to the forums. I appreciate the ideas. I have a funny feeling this may be a RAM issue but I will definitely go through your list.

You wouldn't believe what the problem was. The CPU socket was, ever so slightly, moved over a bit. I just reseated the CPU and wallah, it runs like a champ. The heat sink I have is odd to install and I guess the pressure moved it over. Thanks for the ideas guys! I am just glad I don't have bad components.

You wouldn't believe what the problem was. The CPU socket was, ever so slightly, moved over a bit. I just reseated the CPU and wallah, it runs like a champ. The heat sink I have is odd to install and I guess the pressure moved it over. Thanks for the ideas guys! I am just glad I don't have bad components.

Your Welcome ! We are glad we could assist.

Back