Windows Vista Weird internet problem

Iorkca

Here is whats happening, i tried to download the beta of a video game, it was a big file around 6gigs so i left the computer to download it over night, it was gonna take like 4-5hours. I came back to the PC the next day and the download had basically frozen and it said i was connected to the internet and all but i could not finish the download nor could i surf webpages. I rebooted the PC and everything worked fine. I tried ipconfig renew but it did not work. This seems to be happening with anything i leave to download longer than 30mins. I downloaded a patch for WoW last night only 450mb took like 42mins and same thing happened, same thing happens when i try to use bittorent too.

I am running Windows 7 ultimate x64, amd duel core 4200, 2gigs of ram. I never had these problems with windows XP its only been happening with 7.

thanks for any help.

Hello and welcome to the windows7forums.

Are you running 64-bit?

What was the name of the game that froze?

Here is whats happening, i tried to download the beta of a video game, it was a big file around 6gigs so i left the computer to download it over night, it was gonna take like 4-5hours. I came back to the PC the next day and the download had basically frozen and it said i was connected to the internet and all but i could not finish the download nor could i surf webpages. I rebooted the PC and everything worked fine. I tried ipconfig renew but it did not work. This seems to be happening with anything i leave to download longer than 30mins. I downloaded a patch for WoW last night only 450mb took like 42mins and same thing happened, same thing happens when i try to use bittorent too.

I am running Windows 7 ultimate x64, amd duel core 4200, 2gigs of ram. I never had these problems with windows XP its only been happening with 7.

thanks for any help.

Could you give us more info, if possible :

1. How is your PC connected to the internet ?
2. Do you have an admin. account ?
3. Does your internet connection break after 30 mins every time after you reboot your pc ?
4. Does it break even if you do not download anything but rather just browse the web ?

It quite can be the problem with how your pc is connected to the internet, and also quite typical of bittorents is that they may stop/resume any time, I personally have had torrents downloading during as long as two months (they were just hanging on my uTorent's downloads list until sooner or later someone would start to seed them again and they resumed.) Just take your time (or find another torrent to download from), and use the very good freeware uTorrent.

cybercore has some good question, but I noticed you only have 2 gigs of RAM. You should have at least or more

Pc is connected through a LAN conection straight to the router modem provided by my cable company.
Yes i am using an admin account.
Windows 7 64 bit

If i surf the net its fine. If i play World of Warcraft for 8 hours its fine. If i put something on to download over night and leave my computer alone the net seems to stop working. My firewall say its still connected, but i can no longer surf pages and example utorrent is red and says i have no connection. I tried downloading the Fallen EArth game which requires you to be connected to the net while it downloads and installs 6+ gigs of info, it got like 30% done then it just froze. The pc was fine i could close it i could do everything but download and surf pages. I reboot the computer its all fine. Also 2 gigs of ram should be fine to run this ive been running it this way for 2 months, the only problem is with downloading large files over night. This is what it seems like, it seems like soon as my monitor shuts of for the power saving function the internet messes up too, and i checked my power settings there is nothing for the LAN.

Also wanna point out that the same thing happens no matter what size file it is. Like i said last night it was a small 450mb file 43 mins of downloading and when i got back this morning same thing.

Also if i leave it over night doing nothing, just sitting it works fine.

Last edited:
Back