Windows 7 Weird!

Cheemag

Extraordinary Member
Hello Again,

On occasion, when I double click on a desktop icon it comes up with the Properties window.

Can I fix it without a reboot?

Could it be the utility 'Save Desktop' which causes this. That utility repairs a desktop whose icons become scrambled.

Progs launched from anywhere other than the desktop open normally (Tray, file-manager etc).

Regards

Cheemag

I tend to stay away from most utility programs as they tend to cause more problems then they solve. It's very likely this utility is the culprit. I'd start by removing it and rebooting. If it's still a no go do a system restore provided you have available restore points.

• Press [Windows key + r]
  • Type systempropertiesprotection
  • Click on System Restore...
  • Select a restore point or Show more restore points (you'll need to pick one from before the problem occurred)
  • After selecting one select Next > Finish
  • Reboot

Thanks for your reply.

But it would be much easier just to reboot which clears the problem. And perhaps find another desktop restore utility which does not cause this problem.

I lose the desktop icon placments if I boot the machine with the (HDMI) monitor switched off.

Thanks again

Cheemag

If I follow the thread (?), the easiest desktop restore , and the quickest, is to save the desktop to a safe place periodically, and, when things go wrong, just copy and paste it back.
But, your particular problem. Sounds suspiciously like your alt Key is sticking a little. Give your keyboard a bit of maintenance.

Last edited:
I tested Dave's theory and that does produce the reported issue. A physically stuck ALT key or perhaps sticky keys is enabled.

I tested Dave's theory and that does produce the reported issue. A physically stuck ALT key or perhaps sticky keys is enabled.

Thanks both.

I'll save the desktop. The author of 'Save Desktop' has not responded to an Email.

Even though the keyboard is as old as I am , its Alt key isn't sticking as I use it all the time as an escape key for Autohotkeys and it always functions normally. Sticky keys isn't/aren't enabled.

Thanks again.

Cheemag

Back