Windows Vista Welcome Centre

Could anyone give me some clear instructions please on how to remove that infernal Norton icon from my Welcome Centre? I've uninstalled the trial programme, but understand that I also have to delete a file in oobe.xml to get rid of the icon as well. I have a brand new laptop, so don't want to risk any system problems if it's not an easy job!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks for that. I've managed to get into this file C:\Windows\System32\oobe\Info\244\1033\oobe.xml , but can't seem to edit the contents. Do I delete the whole lot or just the bits that relate to Norton? Also, what would be the consequences of deleting everything?

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
You probably need to take ownership of the file.. This link should help:

HOW TO: Take Ownership of Files

Once you've done that you should be able to edit the file..

Kemical,

Thanks for you efforts. I've now managed to edit the oobe.xml file, and as far as I can see I have removed everything to do with Norton. I also deleted the 'games' stuff while I was on, but the icons remain in the Welcome Centre'. Any other suggestions please?

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Apart from right-clicking on the icon itself and hitting delete I'm unsure how you would remove said icons. In fact I'm quite surprised that you have a Norton icon shown in the welcome centre.. Could you do me a great favour and post a screenshot of the welcome centre?
If your unsure how, just ask..

Kemical,

I've got the screenshot but don't know how to attach to the reply!

Sussed it out Kemical. Should be an attached screenshot of my Welcome Centre. Hope this helps you help!

Yes Superbill, folowed that one to the letter but no joy!

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.