Windows 7 What has happened ,

stormchaser

I downloaded a program a couple of days ago and while installing it the computer suddenly shut down & then restarted but when it did all my folders and programs had turned into exe. files, now I can't open a folder or a program and when I try a window pops up asking what I want to do run or open exe file, when I click the run button nothing happens and when I click the save button anoyher window pops up with the download folder for me to save it as an Exe. file, but I don't save it. I can't install anything not even a windows program, I can't even run my anti virus or anti spyware. HELP:mad:

Turn off PC, wait 30 seconds, then turn PC back on, immediately start tapping the F8 key until a screen appears asking you how you want to start up windows,( you might have to click advanced) choose safe mode with networking. Then update your anti-virus and run it along with Malwarebytes and Spybot S&D. This should clean out the offending culprits lurking on you PC.

Nope, every single program, folder etc is now exe.file & can't even open them.Even programs I downloaded put didn't open have turned into exe. files.

Have you tried a bootable virus scanning cd?
I don't think that there is any doubt that you've got a virus or some other kind of mallware..
From what I understand you are not able to operate inside windows in either fail safe or normal mode?

The drive started, the Norton window with the index on it appeared, so I clicked on install and then I get the " do you want to run or save download window, so I clicked run, nothing happened so I click save, then another window pops up with the folders of where to save, but I can only install it as an exe.file ?????

Welcome to the forum :)

May I ask what program you downloaded and what else you were doing to your PC/had recently done?
It's also worth a shot to run the system file checker... Open CMD as an admin and type "sfc /scannow", this will automatically fix any integrity violations. Afterwards, run a diskcheck via an administrative CMD "chkdsk /f" - you'll have to schedule it for the next reboot.

I have just opened the event viewer & there is a hell of alot of warnings. If I can I get all the details and put them up here and see what you all reckon.
Would that be alright, might give you some idea of whats going on.

I have just opened the event viewer & there is a hell of alot of warnings. If I can I get all the details and put them up here and see what you all reckon.
Would that be alright, might give you some idea of whats going on.

It's entirely normal for there to be thousands of errors written to the event logs each day. Is there any events in particular relation to your problem (reading the description of them should give you a fair idea).

Back