Windows 8 What is annoying in Windows 8?

AmgedIsmail

For me, what annoys me in Windows 8 until now is that for example:
- In Windows 7 days while I am playing a MMORPG Online game in Full Screen mode and when I press the Windows Start Key in Keyboard, it shows me the taskbar, Start Icon, the time and the date...
This helps me to quickly look at the clock....

- In Windows 8 when I press the Windows button in Keyboard, it switches me to the Start (Metro) in Full screen instead of showing the taskbar and this annoys me!!
See the difference?

I have a suggestion!!!
They probably should make it before the original Windows 8 is released...
What about when I press the windows Start Button in Keyboard, it shows you the tasbar and time as well as the date, it also shows you the Start Icon but you have to click it then it will transfer you to the Metro Menu...

Do you like this suggestion?
Isn't it a bit better?

So you want Win 8 CP to work like your Win 7 works. This is a new OS that does work differently. There have been a couple of suggestions for bringing back the Start Orb. You can check them out and try them. If they do what you want then your problem is solved. One involves using 3rd party app ViStart. This has been discussed is a couple of other threads. Now that I want, I can't find them, so you will have to look around a little.

For me, what annoys me in Windows 8 until now is that for example:
- In Windows 7 days while I am playing a MMORPG Online game in Full Screen mode and when I press the Windows Start Key in Keyboard, it shows me the taskbar, Start Icon, the time and the date...
This helps me to quickly look at the clock....
A way to handle your situation might be to open the charm band (upper or lower right corners of screen or Winkey+C) and then move the mouse in. When the band turns black, a clock opens up also.

But I have decided one of the things I do not like is the Full Screen, in your face type of app. I can see it working that way on a small screen, but with a 24 inch monitor, when that big red picture app pops up full screen, it is not pleasing. I even have a hard time playing solitaire in full screen....

But, this is being designed for a mobile type of environment. Hopefully the final release will offer options to accommodate for PC or tablet type of operations.

involves using 3rd party app ViStart. This has been discussed is a couple of other threads. Now that I want, I can't find them, so you will have to look around a little.

Stardock menu Start8 for Windows® 8 - Bringing back the Windows Start menu Need a deal of work yet. Not worth the install.

Vistart Start Menu, Windows 7 Start Menu Ok but buggy

Vista Start Menu Vista Start Menu – Convenient alternative to Start menu Excellent. Very easy to customise.

Start Menu 7 Start Menu 7 Based on Vista Start Menu, but with the added windows 7 start globe. Best so far

Hello MikeHawthorne,
I think they will bring back FreeCell and make it available in Store for either Free Download or Purchase.
Because from now on, we will find better games than ever before :)
There will be better games than those original Windows games, they will be like iDevices :)

I am checking the Store everyday :)
In Games section.
And now when I checked it I found a new game added Mahjong Deluxe :) :)

What annoys me? The fact my empty (+AV) Win 8 took, to hit the Metro (nuff said), over 2 mins. My full Win 7 does it in well under 80secs.

Still, helps the nostalgia. Reminds me of good ole XP, but updated with kiddies wax colouring crayons, have time to go make a coffee again while waiting the boot up!!

(N.B. Windows 7 timed by boot timer, Win 8 needed an egg timer)

Is my i3 2.5 GHz TOSHIBA laptop really not powerful for Windows 8?
Because I have noticed the fan is spinning a lot without even running a game and sometimes I encounter slow browsing and when I close a tab in Mozilla, it slowly closes... Laggy.

Even in Win-7, old timers like me who have played Solitaire since the early 90's, found the new Sol to be really nasty.
So I grabbed my Sol.exe and cards.dll off of my XP and transplanted them into the root directory on Win-7 or now Win-8, then I made a shortcut to sol.exe on the desktop and I can sit here in Win-8 and play my old favorite Classic Solitaire. All the card games use the same 'cards.dll' file, so you can transplant any of the old Windows card games to Win-7 or Win-8.

When I set up a new Windows 7 PC for any of my customers, I ask them if they'd like the classic solitaire and most of them say yes.
Sol has probably been the most played game of all time. I've been playing it for 22 years. The right mouse button comes into play for completing moves from the card pile to the Ace Row. Try it!

Cheers Mates!
:cool:

Is my i3 2.5 GHz TOSHIBA laptop really not powerful for Windows 8?
Because I have noticed the fan is spinning a lot without even running a game and sometimes I encounter slow browsing and when I close a tab in Mozilla, it slowly closes... Laggy.
Yes, your laptop is plenty powerful for Windows 8 CP. My desktop (check out my specs) has only an anemic AMD Athlon 64 X2 3250e, running @ 1.5GHz, shipped with 2GB DDR2 RAM (I upgraded that to 4GB), and was designed to run Windows 7 64 bit. Windows 8 CP coasts along on the PC, whereas Windows 7 Pro x64 made it scream at times.

At first, I was pleased, as it was my first new PC, but after much reading, I found that I could have spent another $100 and had a Core2Quad & 6GB DDR3 RAM (would've had to buy a monitor). At the time, I was ignorant about computer specs, either it worked or not. My primary concern was my ISP, having a decent connection.

To answer your question, your CPU is 1GHz faster than mine, is far more modern, and I'm assuming that you can install 4GB RAM or more (the more, the better, although 4GB is considered the "sweet spot" by many experts & IT Pros.

Probably the reason for your fan running a lot is processes running that you don't realize is running. You can open "msconfig" & find these unneeded startup items (make sure that you don't need them). Also, on Firefox, run no more addons/extensions than you need. That helps alot (also applies to Chrome).

Cat

One thing, seldom mentioned and often poo poo'd by the so-called experts is the number of Services that run in the background on every OS since Windows XP. I finally went through the services listing today on my new Win-8 install. There are many services that we just don't need at all and a couple dozen more that we can put into "Manual" mode, so they only start and run when absolutely needed.

I have several tweaks that I do to every PC that I have to set up. It's not unusual to double the efficiency of any PC. Tweaking and tuning for best performance is especially critical on Laptops. You don't want anything running in the background that's not 100% necessary.

I experienced a really BIG slowdown on my own PC after I installed one of the Windows 7 Look-A-Like add ons. I wound up re-installing win-8 to clean up the mess. Now running in natural mode, Win-8 is humming right along. I am using several tweaks that I use on Win-7 and they seem to be working OK.

Cheers Mates!
The Doctor :cool:

So far, the only annoying thing in regards to Windows 8 CP is that I have to troubleshoot my internet connection (both my wired desktop & wireless notebook) at startup. No big deal, as it only takes 30 or so seconds to repair.

That issue will probably be worked out as Windows 8 CP progresses. Custom drivers for hardware will be written for many common components, such as internet access cards. I tried installing the OEM drivers on both, but there is a compatibility issue at this time.

Otherwise, Windows 8 CP is running along just fine.

Cat

Back
Top Bottom