Windows Vista What is with this green address bar?

angrywasp

OK. So here's my small, but really annoying problem. I have a heap of dvd rips in my videos folder. when I open it, all subdirectories and file operations take forever to work.

I noticed this green bar, like a progress bar going along the address bar and it seems that I can't do anything until this has finished, although it takes about 20 minutes to finish.

So that's problem number 1

second I downloaded a movie which was corrupted along the way. Now I can't delete it, change the name of it move it or anything. I have tried deleting it from windows explorer, in safe mode and via the command prompt, but every time explorer or the command prompt just hangs for a bit until vista decides to stop the process

So if anyone can tell me what the hell this green progress bar in the address field is all about and how I can delete a file that doesn't want to be deleted I would really appreciate it

cheers

ok so I finally got this file deleted. I will tell everyone how, just in case the proble comes up for anyone else

I tried deleting via the command prompt just one more time to see if i could get some sort of feedback from windows about why it wouldn't delete. it hung for about 30 minutes but i let it go anyway. after that the prompt told me the file was in use, but i could't figure out by what

so i rebooted into safe mode and tried deleting via the prompt again. this time it only hung for about 5 minutes before telling me the file was still in use. But in use by what? safe mode only loads the core drivers and no startup programs

so i figured it could only be in use by windows explorer itself!? WTF! so i killed the explorer process and tried deleting via the prompt again. this time all went smooth. excellent i thought. so i rebooted normally and checked to see if it was deleted, guess what. it was still there. so i tried deleting it from inside explorer and it was gone within the blink of an eye.

so the moral of the story is....

if you have a file that won't delete because it is in use. kill explorer to free it up.

As for the green prgress bar, i found out it has something to do with loading your directory. I have no idea what purpose it serves, and i really want to disable it, becuase it just slows me down, so if anyone knows how to kil this crap i would appreciate it

lololololol Windows Explorer

So was that safe mode? OR safe mode with command prompt which only loads the dos prompt?
I understand what you went through. So
unds like explorer just got snagged on the file and couldn't get off of it. As for the green bar, sounds like some sort of indexing service. Maybe some sort of check that can be disabled in some deeply seated explorer/folder settings.

:p:p:p:p

Yes, I'm having the same problem with my Acer computer. Any time a put a cd or dvd in the drive I can very rarely access it from windows explorer. Only after several days, for whatever reason, will autoplay, or the explorer window spontaneously open with the contents of the cd or dvd. Then I feel compelled to keep the window open or lose access to the contents of the drive.
I have suspected this green bar before. Does anyone have any solutions?

Is this real?...
The 'green bar' is just an indicator.

get an unlocker program... or shut the processes and services down that you want to remove, and delete... if you can't do that.. try it in safe mode... The OS is "using" (per se, well it probably is for some reason like JUNK or shared dll's or something) the program or part of it in the background... terminate it and it should be good... hope I helped...

green progress bar in Vista Explorer address bar

Hi,

The green bar is often caused by Vista loading and preparing thumbnails. It can also be caused by slow network connection. You can take care of the first issue by changing the following setting:

Explorer
-> Tools
-> Folder Options
-> View
-> Always show icons, never thumbnails

This will tell the computer to open your folders with icons for each file instead of thumbnails which is the problem that causes the slowness.

Note, if your Exporer crashes (oh, didn't they come up with new Windows that is supposed to be reliable?!!), you won't be able to open another instance of it untill you kill the explorer process. So, it is a good idea to run every Explorer in its own process, you might want to set the following.

Explorer
-> Tools
-> Folder Options
-> View
-> Launch folder windows in a separate process

www.Maxi-Pedia.com - Your resource for finance, business, and IT!

Wish you less stress. :O)

Back
Top Bottom