Windows 7 what to use to burn cd/dvds?

For files, iso's and img's?
imgburn is a great program.
iso recorder is well all so.

Last edited:
sorry. i shouda been more clear on what i'm looking for

i'm looking for something that can burn dvd (so i can watch it on my dvd player. features include creating menus, chapters, etc), burning music cds (so i can play in a cd player), and burning isos

This might interest you?
I have always used, and rated, Ashampoo as my favourite. Now this amazing free offer popped up in my mailbox. I grabbed the chance and it looks like it is all working.
Link changed:
Link Removed - Invalid URLLink Removed - Not Found

Last edited:
Hi there
my English might be a bit suspect at times but when I read in the link "Lacks features such as xxxxxxxx" that are available in edition yyyyyyyyy then IMO it's not a FULL version (or have I mis understood something).

It appears that it can't make DVD movies which was one of the features I think the OP wanted.

Actually Nero 7 still works on W7 (x-64) included. Any later editions are just bloatware of course. If you are used to NERO then stick to V7 and don't get any later release.

Note that if you need to mount "Virtual CD's / DVD's" then the Nero drive image doesn't work -- hasn't since VISTA. For this type of software use something else like ultra iso (or plenty of others).

cheers
jimbo

When I need to encode a video file to burn to DVD I use "ConvertXtoDVD". I don't like menus. I like for movies to come on as soon as I put them in the player so I disable them. It's not free but it works great.

AVI to DVD Video Converter Software VSO ConvertXtoDVD Download now

For all of my other burning needs I use ImgBurn.

I'm not going to tell you how badly I hate Nero. The last time I did that I thought I was going to be tarred and feathered and run out of town (oops I said too much :eek: ).

Using Nero 9 atm and like all of you i hate their smartstart feature.
Never was much of a fan for the nero express either, but its always possible to open up the regular Nero in the start menu and from there i can't see that Nero has made any significant change since around v7

And in several versions you can disable the smartstart installation and get rid of it altogether aswell as select what parts you like to get the burning software you want.

But as said, if you like v7 and wish to stick to it, by all means, do, but v9 isn't that different if you set it up right which again isn't that hard doing a custom installation.

However the free Nero out there (yes Nero has released a free v9 Nero called Nero Essentials) it SUCKS, don't get it. Its like Photoshop Elements, its a nerfed version missing just about everything which makes Nero good. Better to buy a proper version and get something good than go for something bad.

I wonder if there is any good opensource burning software out there though.

If you want just burn the basic, Windows 7 has the utilities to burn audio and MP3s (WMP), Data (Explorer) or ISOs (Windows Image Burner), If you want some advamced tools, I recommend you use Ashampoo Burning Studio!.

Despite what others say here, I've been using Nero 9 for awhile now with Vista and now 7. I have never had any problems with it and love the various tasks I can do with it.

lol, i can't even start guessing how you did that. Nero has always worked fine for me. Although in Win7 it seems to act a little funny during the install, but beyond that works just great.
I was using XP x64 Edition at the time. I set it up to encode and burn a movie then went to bed. The next morning when I tried to shut off the program I got the BSOD. It actually happened twice. I haven't left a movie encoding and gone to bed since.

Back