Windows 7 whats new?

loathe

been on holiday and away from computer... just wanted quick update on latest build that has been leaked or is it still 7022 32bit? i see thay have set a date for the RC. good news

I actually had Windows ME on my computer at the time. I liked it better than Windows '98.

I wouldn't even consider going back to ME after XP or Vista.

It actually worked pretty good for me most of the time.

You were a lucky one djwayne.. I used 98 SE than tried Windows ME on several different occasions and NEVER could I EVER get it to work well for me.. It would ALWAYS install perfectly fine and very fast.. but once I started installing all the regular apps I would use on a day to day basis it went for sh!t everytime.. never failed.. ;) So I went back to 98 SE for a while but then quickly went to 2000 once I had the cash to purchase a copy of it.. :) I still run 2000 but only on one of my pc's.. It's pretty much just a file dump PC so the OS isn't extremely important.. ;)

I had lots of problems too, but they were caused by Norton Anti-Virus program. Everything would work great until I'd install Norton AV. Happened everytime, so I knew it was Norton, so I went with no A-V program for a long time and had very few problems.

Yeah! I forgot all about the issues with Norton... Damn that would piss me off when Norton would screw up or cause Windows to fu*k itself royally... ;) Actually I think that's when I stopped using Norton products all together.... :)

Windows ME!!

I went from DOS 3 to DOS 5/Windows 3.11, to 95 (if I had broken a law every time I performed an "illegal operation" in 95, I would be in jail for 7 lifetimes. Head and shoulders, the most miserable OS ever to have come from Microsoft.), to 98, to 98SE, to ME, to 2000 Pro, to XP, to Vista, to 7 beta. 98SE was pretty good. ME was ok. 2000 was the best OS ever from Redmond. Vista running neck and neck with windows 95 for the worst; 98se and 2000 Pro have to be tied for the best.

The more familiar I get with 7, the better I am liking it. I like the "libraries" concept; at least I will when I really figure it out.

Yes Norton AV conflicted with my computer royally. I have music programs that would quit working after installing Norton.
Norton came highly recommended to me, so I thought I had to use it, but after I pinned down the culprit, I had to quit it.

Eventially I tried an AV program from Computer Associates (CA) and that worked great for me. It didn't interfer with any of my programs.

Yes Norton AV conflicted with my computer royally. I have music programs that would quit working after installing Norton.
Norton came highly recommended to me, so I thought I had to use it, but after I pinned down the culprit, I had to quit it.

Eventially I tried an AV program from Computer Associates (CA) and that worked great for me. It didn't interfer with any of my programs.

I always found Winamp and Norton didn't get along well at all.. and sometimes VLC would conflict with it as well.. not to mention the horrible days of WMP 7/8/9.. those were just terrible media players but they also didn't like Norton I found... ;)

Like you, I was told I had to try Norton as it was just sooo good.. so I did and regret every minute of it.. ;) but I also found another AV program that works VERY well with all my apps and have been using it ever since..

It's not all bad though.. I did learn to research apps more before installing them because of the whole Norton fiasco.. so I guess that would be the only positive thing about Norton for me.. :)

I've always had bad luck with Norton. I figured they improved their software over the years so I gave them another chance and installed their 360 beta program after I first installed Windows 7. I had so many headaches with it, I had to do a fresh install just to get Norton off my hard drive.

So far AVG Free has been working out great for me. I don't want to buy a year long subscription to any A-V just for the
6 month beta test of Windows 7.

:)

I've always had bad luck with Norton. I figured they improved their software over the years so I gave them another chance and installed their 360 beta program after I first installed Windows 7. I had so many headaches with it, I had to do a fresh install just to get Norton off my hard drive.

So far AVG Free has been working out great for me. I don't want to buy a year long subscription to any A-V just for the
6 month beta test of Windows 7.

:)

Yeah I was using AVG Free as well but was recently made aware of NOD32 and Kaspersky.. both also work VERY well on Windows 7 and XP for that matter... ;) It's all preference of course but I have to say sometimes I feel there are too many different AV programs out there.. I'd prefer one that was just an all around amazing AV and nothing else.... someday maybe.. :)

I don,t have an anti virus program running resident on my Windows 7 installation. As I wipe it quite often and replace it with a safe image, or a new build, it doen't seem too important.
However, I think, for the purposes of testing, I have installed and deleted Anti virus programs faster than new buids have come out!
They all gave, unimportant, a desktop delay penalty on startup. I would say, on my own observation, Avast was the worst here. Generally, they all seemed to perform unobtrusively. Nod32 may have had the edge.
The biggest disappointment was my favourite - AVGFree. Heavy on resources and in general internet procedures.
Maybe when everyone catches up with modified programs for 7, the whole benchmark scene will change. So the jury is still out for me.
P:S. I did not include ANY Norton products. That has been a no no for me since Vista started. Shame on them. Peter Norton was one of my Computer heroes in the Dos days.

Back