Windows 10 WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

Hi,
those stock AMD Heatsink and fans are just about ok but really you want something a little better. I would open up the case and check the cooler over (with the machine switched off of course). Just make sure nothing is loose or that the fins are not full of dust.

If you have any spare thermal paste then check the heatsink and fan. If need be re-apply. Check temps.

I can see cracked cpu grease causing slight increase in temps but not 150 -160C.

Last edited:
Hey Rich,
thats a bugged temp reading and the actual temp is more like 70c. I asked the op to use a different app for checking temps.

Unfortunately this does not support the amd HD 4290 chipset. with my old gtx570 it says 528 recommended

HD 4290 is you motherboards onboard GPU solution. 890GX would be your chipset. Take the advice of kemical and take your CPU heatsink fan off and have a look. If you are not qualified to do this then take it to a good shop. That would be my advice. Your PC may need a good general overall cleaning and also a reseating of the CPU with new thermal grease and a check of the CPU fan. All of this needs to be done properly. If you are no longer using the GTX 570 and you are using the onboard HD 4290 graphics solution you won't need a 500+W PSU but you likely need a new one if the power supply you have is older -- as in 4-5+ years older.

I took the heatsink of the CPU and this is what it looks like. Seems like most of the Paste has evaporated. What should I do now? Just clean it? Do I need to wait until I get my hands on some Paste on Monday or is there anything i can do before that?

Attachments

• 1464466845158-740021622.jpg
    1464466845158-740021622.jpg
    1,000.6 KB · Views: 547
  • P_20160528_221509.jpg
    P_20160528_221509.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 444
I took the heatsink of the CPU and this is what it looks like. Seems like most of the Paste has evaporated. What should I do now? Just clean it? Do I need to wait until I get my hands on some Paste on Monday or is there anything i can do before that?
Hi,
you need some more paste. It really it should be changed everytime you remove the heatsink and fan.

You'll need to clean both the cpu and heatsink before applying fresh paste.

Keep the CPU locked into it's socket and carefully clean to remove all the excess paste. See the guide I've linked to below on how to do this best.

If I were you, I would take the time between now and Monday to get all that dust out of the case. It obviously hasn't been cleared out in some time and you need to keep a good airflow to keep components cool. Another tip is to try and move or position your cables in such a way that they are either mainly hidden or tucked to one side out of the way. This can help enormously in air flow plus it also tidies up the inside of the pc.

Use the nozzle on the vacuum cleaner and a small paintbrush to get every last speck of dust although please be careful.

Reapplying thermal paste is relatively easy as long as you don't have too much and not too little. This guide will help but you can find more via google:
How-To: Properly Apply Thermal Paste and Install a CPU | PC Gamer

Once you've reapplied thermal paste and cleaned out the dust put the system back together and carefully monitor temps once it's booted up. If you see temps rising fast turn the machine off and make sure the heatsink is fitted correctly.

Check temps when system is running and post back.

Wow that is really nasty looking and I think certainly a big part of the problem. Nice write-up on how to clean and re paste from kemical.

Thx Rich, I'm hoping the op's post on Monday will show better temperatures.

Thank you so much! I have run the stresstest for an hour without the temperature ever exceeding 55°C!
If the temperature really was the issue, it seems to be fixed!
If anything else happens i'll post back.
Thank you for now! :)

Thank you so much! I have run the stresstest for an hour without the temperature ever exceeding 55°C!
If the temperature really was the issue, it seems to be fixed!
If anything else happens i'll post back.
Thank you for now! :)
Excellent!

Sounds like you did a great job. Hope all goes well.. :)

Post back if issues return.

Back