Windows 7 When to Switch from Windows Mail to Windows Live Mail?

Jim S

Honorable Member
I have posted this question in two different CNET forums - "E-mail, chat, & VoIP" and "Windows 7" - but have received no response to either. Thought I might have more success here.

I am currently using Windows Mail on Vista Home Premium. I've seen numerous reports that Windows Mail will not be offered as a part of Windows 7 and that users will need to use a different email client - possibly Windows Live Mail. Since I plan to upgrade to Windows 7 soon, should I go ahead and leisurely get my email converted from Windows Mail to Windows Live Mail now while I am still on Vista? Seems like that would be safer, since once I'm on Windows 7 I won't be able to run Windows Mail in case something goes wrong or I forgot to export something.

--Jim--

I have posted this question in two different CNET forums - "E-mail, chat, & VoIP" and "Windows 7" - but have received no response to either. Thought I might have more success here.

I am currently using Windows Mail on Vista Home Premium. I've seen numerous reports that Windows Mail will not be offered as a part of Windows 7 and that users will need to use a different email client - possibly Windows Live Mail. Since I plan to upgrade to Windows 7 soon, should I go ahead and leisurely get my email converted from Windows Mail to Windows Live Mail now while I am still on Vista? Seems like that would be safer, since once I'm on Windows 7 I won't be able to run Windows Mail in case something goes wrong or I forgot to export something.

--Jim--

Yes that seems to make sense to me and its what I would do. I have an exchanger server so I don't use windows live mail but better safe then sorry.

Yes, I would make the switch now. I did it about a month ago -- it was seamless.

Donald, did you import both messages and contacts from Windows Mail? I have several hundred contacts and thousands of messages in scores of folders that I will want to retain.

--Jim--

Hi Jim,

I didn't have that many folders or contacts, but they all imported. I don't think you will have a problem. WLM imports all your folders into a "Storage" folder. Let me know if you have any problems and I will try to help you through them.

Don

NO... get 7 installed... then install Live Mail and it will import your settings and your saved emil and folders, sent mail ... etc.

If you convert now you are likely to have manual steps after you install 7 since Windows live mail is NOT included in Windows 7.

Windows Live Mail Up and Running

I downloaded and installed WLM tonight (before I saw tblount's post). Went very smoothly! All contacts and messages imported automatically. It is now my default email client. Guess I'll have to worry later about what happens when I go to Windows 7.

--Jim--

Last edited:
WLM didn't import all email

As others have posted, I too installed Windows Live Mail before installing Win 7. Windows Mail had everything the same as Outlook Express, folders, contacts, etc. I copied all the folders in Win Mail to a CD before upgrading to Windows Live Mail. Live Mail supposedly imported everything, then I installed Win 7. I have mail, but there are many messages that just give me a "This message cannot be found". So I tried importing from the cd, and many were imported, but a folder I made that has "Hold", and subfolders 2007, 2008, 2009 for some messages I wanted to save still won't appear. Also, the folder 2009 isn't there. My contact list wasn't as I had it set up for certain groups, so I had to manually redo them. When I received email, my rules weren't followed, so email was lumped in one place. I'm very disgusted with Live Mail and would like to try a program similar to Outlook Express that keeps email in the computer, but I don't know what is available, nor do I know if I can disable Live Mail.

I too Jumped straight into WLM on vista before I get my W7 in the post ( thats if the strike doesnt stop it), basically out of curosity to see if I liked it. Glad i made this option , WLM is not for me, you can't beat a good straight forward mail programe like outlook.

When I enter Live Mail I cannot read any mail or see contacts until "Sign on" takes place. Is there no was to work with Live Mail offline? I had an eight hour internet provider outage yesterday and no internet. Also, Storage folders all report as "empty."
I see no Options to check location of storage folders either.
Did I miss a step to make Live Mail local?

Back